Tire OCD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I should have figured this out by now but: any idea if the 200 wears the front or rear tires faster? I’m switching to my summer set up since Summer decided to come early with a bang up here in AK. I’m guessing front but I tow a ~7k lb camper a ton.

Front wear faster.

I actually find the wear pretty even all around. I do rotate often enough that I can't really tell though.

The rear carries more load, but the front also bears the brunt of braking and cornering so I can agree that the front may wear faster. More so on a lifted rig.

Ok I should have figured this out by now but: any idea if the 200 wears the front or rear tires faster? I’m switching to my summer set up since Summer decided to come early with a bang up here in AK. I’m guessing front but I tow a ~7k lb camper a ton.

Fronts are almost always going to wear faster on just about any (unladen/not towing) vehicle because they have to steer your truck...so are generating side pressures on the tread every time you turn, and each tread edge takes more of a beating as they have to bite into terrain enough to change the direction your 3 ton truck. Plus, they move inward and outward slightly as your CVs & control arms moved up and down through their arc on compression and rebound with IFS. Standard axle rears remain comparatively in line with the axle & vehicle and don't have to force turns.

Rotate regularly through, and all will wears similarly over time.
If you don't rotate? You'll sooner have noisy, cupped and likely especially-worn fronts.

Fronts are almost always going to wear faster on just about any (unladen/not towing) vehicle because they have to steer your truck...so are generating side pressures on the tread every time you turn, and each tread edge takes more of a beating as they have to bite into terrain enough to change the direction your 3 ton truck. Plus, they move inward and outward slightly as your CVs & control arms moved up and down through their arc on compression and rebound with IFS. Standard axle rears remain comparatively in line with the axle & vehicle and don't have to force turns.

Rotate regularly through, and all will wears similarly over time.
If you don't rotate? You'll sooner have noisy, cupped and likely especially-worn fronts.
Thanks, I rotate them every 5k miles. Do a 5 tire rotation with KO2s in the summer and a 4 tire with the directional tires I use in the winter. I usually mark them when I talk them off in the fall/spring but apparently didn’t this time.

Thanks, I rotate them every 5k miles. Do a 5 tire rotation with KO2s in the summer and a 4 tire with the directional tires I use in the winter. I usually mark them when I talk them off in the fall/spring but apparently didn’t this time.
With the tire care you describe, you won’t have uneven wear, even if you don’t do one rotation correctly. However, a tread depth gauge is cheap and is easy to use.

I’m especially interested in how you talk your tires off. That sounds a lot easier than taking them off and I assume involves some special words.

With the tire care you describe, you won’t have uneven wear, even if you don’t do one rotation correctly. However, a tread depth gauge is cheap and is easy to use.

I’m especially interested in how you talk your tires off. That sounds a lot easier than taking them off and I assume involves some special words.
Haha. I should prof my things better given auto fill interventions. I wish there was an easier way to change the tires over. Since it went straight from winter to summer up here in AK I’m doing the swap about a month early, doing all 4 of our vehicles today. And I wish I could talk the LX wheel/tires into doing them themselves. Feels like They weigh twice as much as any of our other set ups given the other 3 are AWD cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom