Timing issue on 94 4 Runner 3.0 3vze (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy New year Folks! I recently put a 3.0 engine in my 94 4 runner. Before i put engine in the truck replaced water pump, timing belt, tensioners, plugs. All seemed to line up cam and crank marks all zeroed out to 0 degree btdc. When i started plugging everything back together i realized that the knock sensor wiring on the replacement engine was the older style. I connected my knock sensor from old engine to lift point with a new harness just to facilitate the install. Once it was all hooked up it started right up. When i jumped the pins and timed the engine i had to move distributor all the way to dead stop to get it to 10 degrees btdc. The truck will run but it runs very slow with no power at all and the catalytic convertor glows red. i unhooked the convertor but no change. It actually then would barely go. I put a timing light on the cams and it shows the cams a little left of center. Say a half a tooth to the left. When i manually rotate engine the marks all show to be dead on the money. I can definitely hear a slight backfire from time to time when revving engine. Any ideas what i may be able to do to remedy this. Thanks David

Did you install the distributor with the rotor lining up with the number one plug while its a TDC?

The distributor was already on the engine. I did try moving the distributor one click cw. Did not help. Moved it back to original position.

I mean pull it out take off the cap and reinstall it with the rotor pointing at the number one plug spot on the cap

The rotor currently is pointing to the number one spot on the the cap. But i still have to rotate distributor all the way to the stop on the advance to get to 10 degree btdc. At idle it runs good. Normal revs for a few minutes then it sounds like it bogs down when you rev it. No power and the catalytic convertor starts glowing red. On manual rotation crank and cam are all synced up. When i point a timing light at the rotating cams they look to be a half click short of of the mark. The engine i took out had hydraulic tensioners this engine came out of a 93 truck and had spring tensioner, old style plug on knock sensor and a few other differences. The plug for the distributor seems to be the the same style. The distributor seems to be identical. Appreciate your help

The timing marks never line up perfectly. Sound like the TPS is stuck in a position off idle. If it has a black cover throw it away and get a new OE one with a stainless cover. Set it by the book and then check the timing. This is a real common problem. If it is a stainless covered one then pull it off and make sure it move freely the then reinstall and set by the book. The computer most likely is changing the timing based on a false signal from the tps.

The timing marks never line up perfectly. Sound like the TPS is stuck in a position off idle. If it has a black cover throw it away and get a new OE one with a stainless cover. Set it by the book and then check the timing. This is a real common problem. If it is a stainless covered one then pull it off and make sure it move freely the then reinstall and set by the book. The computer most likely is changing the timing based on a false signal from the tps.

10-4. I do have a black tps on this engine. I had to change more than expected on this engine. Plug in for knock sensor being one of them. I put a new pigtail to a sensor on the lift bracket. Initially i got a knock sensor code. I have jumped e1 t1 and had a blinking dash light but no change in idle or timing. My rotor seems to be the same type with correct plug. I took this engine out of a 93 truck but i had spring tension adjuster instead of hydraulic as well as a couple of intake changes. I guess the motor could have been a older replacement in the truck i pulled it from. I will change tps and see if that clears it up. Thanks for your help! Sawbilly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom