Timing chain rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys used this form alot but searching has yielded little on this issue
I have a 1993 fzj80 with just 200K turned over on the clock
I have a constant rattle at the low end
(Sub 1000 RPM)
And I cant seem I figure it out
It sounds like its coming from the timing chain cover on the driver side just below the dizzy and above the oil pump
The sound continues when the belts are disconnected give it a listen and let me know your thoughts
the video is at 650 rpm warm idle

Last edited:
A better video taken close to the problem area would be helpful instead of a few feet in front of the vehicle. We also need more information. How long has this problem presented itself? Any past overheating problems, head gasket repair, power steering pump other recent maintenance? Have you examined the timing chain tensioner?
Your current statement is confusing. You said the noise was located on the passenger side underneath the distributor. Unless your vehicle is a RHD import the distributor is on the driver's side of the engine on 1FZ-FE vehicles.

My money is on the PS pump gear, but only if this was without belts on it.

Have you checked the torque on the HB to 304 LB-FT?

A better video taken close to the problem area would be helpful instead of a few feet in front of the vehicle. We also need more information. How long has this problem presented itself? Any past overheating problems, head gasket repair, power steering pump other recent maintenance? Have you examined the timing chain tensioner?
Your current statement is confusing. You said the noise was located on the passenger side underneath the distributor. Unless your vehicle is a RHD import the distributor is on the driver's side of the engine on 1FZ-FE vehicle
Your current statement is confusing. You said the noise was located on the passenger side underneath the distributor. Unless your vehicle is a RHD import the distributor is on the driver's side of the engine on 1FZ-FE vehicles.
I fixed the passenger vs driver side ill add more info in just a second been bouncing around work and jobs today thank you though

My money is on the PS pump gear, but only if this was without belts on it.

Have you checked the torque on the HB to 304 LB-FT?
Yes actually just did the front main seal and oil pump cover torqued right up to 304
(It was making the sound before hand ive only had the truck just over a year and its made it since for the time ive had it i didnt get to concerned about it til i had the belts off and it continued to make that sound and the ol screwdriver trick it sounds loudest at that point is there a safe way to pull the PS and check for sound while its not connected to the timing chain

Yes actually just did the front main seal and oil pump cover torqued right up to 304
(It was making the sound before hand ive only had the truck just over a year and its made it since for the time ive had it i didnt get to concerned about it til i had the belts off and it continued to make that sound and the ol screwdriver trick it sounds loudest at that point is there a safe way to pull the PS and check for sound while its not connected to the timing chain
The PS pump can be removed independently of the timing chain. It's not uncommon for someone to replace the PS pump and booger the teeth on the gear so it makes bad noises.

Pull the pump and either install a new gear properly, or take great care to clean up the teeth and remove all marring. It's just a bit of a messy job with the PS oil (refill with Dexron 3-4 ATF or Hydraulic oil (NOT PS fluid))

Hey guys used this form alot but searching has yielded little on this issue
I have a 1993 fzj80 with just 200K turned over on the clock
I have a constant rattle at the low end
(Sub 1000 RPM)
And I cant seem I figure it out
It sounds like its coming from the timing chain cover on the driver side just below the dizzy and above the oil pump
The sound continues when the belts are disconnected give it a listen and let me know your thoughts
the video is at 650 rpm warm idle

My 80 has a similar noise. Did you figure out any cause of your noise? Does the noise go away under heavy acceleration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom