Timing Belt Replacement - Recommended Shops in NE USA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm gearing up to get the big service done to my '08 GX470 and wanted to ask: Any good recommended shops or mechanics in the NE? (preferably NY tri-state area)

I'm looking to get the full service done including a few additional items to take advantage: timing belt, water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses and alternator. Heard some folks also tackle the cam seal while they're in there... not sure if I should tackle this as well.

Any hints would be helpful. thanks all.

FYI - cam seals for vvti models require a ton more work. The valve covers and cams have to be removed and unfortunately you can't get the seals from the front. But like you said, might as well get it done while you're in there. I plan on doing this as well.

FYI - cam seals for vvti models require a ton more work. The valve covers and cams have to be removed and unfortunately you can't get the seals from the front. But like you said, might as well get it done while you're in there. I plan on doing this as well.
Yikes, thanks for the heads up... Is this even worth doing? I'm of two minds... my GX only has 70K miles but the age of the belt warrants replacement. Not sure if I should go down the road of replacing those seals.

I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping the GX for? 70k miles is really low and it’ll last a long time. I don’t want to say I’m keeping mine forever but maybe another 5-10+ years? So it’ll be worth the extra cost for me.

From my experience with UZ VVT-i cam seals, they last and may not need replacing until the second or third timing belt change.
If they are not leaking you may consider leaving them be. It's about 4+ hours of labor just for the seals.
By the time cam seals need replacing the VVT timing tubes will most likely need new O'rings.

If you're willing to drive down to Brooklyn, NY I can recommend an honest/quality shop who can do timing belt service on a 2UZ motor. Will likely not be a one day job though.

If you're willing to drive down to Brooklyn, NY I can recommend an honest/quality shop who can do timing belt service on a 2UZ motor. Will likely not be a one day job though.
I'm actually in the UWS now! What's the shop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom