Timesaver mod to fan shroud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!
Threads
This is not new info, but perhaps newly with pics.

For those of us that wrench on our own junk, (and learn best w/ pics) do yourselves a favor and split your fan shroud after you 1st have to pull it. The next go round will be mucho better, as the rad or fan can then stay in place.

I split mine 2 yrs ago when I 1st bought the rig, and had to replace the radiator.

Today, I replaced the belts, and I saved a lot of time by leaving the bottom half of the shroud and the rad in place.

Personally, I used some 20 ga. sheet metal cut to size, and sheet metal screws to retain some rigidity and airtightness. Followed that with RTV along the inside of the joint to be extra analicious. My pics are after putting it back together today.

Be particular about placement of the cut line, keeping in mind you'll have to later get to the screws, and to not interfere with the shroud mounting bolts.

Barely 1/4 :banana: job just cutting, then rejoining shroud.
DSC00417.jpg
DSC00419.jpg

Last edited:
shroud

Great post!

Great info.....ask Greg too make it a sticky or something.

I keep saying i need to do this mod but always seem to forget.

I have to write a couple of mod write ups before I go back too school in January(Just waiting for parts to come in).:cheers:

great time saver. Makes a water pump replacement a lot easier too.

faq'd

Thanks for posting this. Keep thinking of doing it, just havent. Its on my todo list for the end of this month!

Yep, I split mine when I did the body lift.

Never bothered to fill the gap back in, I just run it with a 1" gap between the top & bottom 1/2. Runs cool so far.

Thanks for posting the pics. I'll be doing this in the next day or two when I swap rads.

I think somebody sold you a junk rad.:flipoff2:

It didn't look too bad once I flushed out the pepper and cooked egg :rolleyes: much better than what's coming out of it. Might be roadtripping up to Inuvik in a few weeks :steer:, so a good time to get the swap out of the way.

I don't know if anybody's had the same experience that I did but I never re-installed the bottom half and have no overheating issues at all with just the top half of the fan shroud.

Hey, you're P.S. pump is on the right hand side!?

ha I did not do that...that was the old rad:flipoff2:
It didn't look too bad once I flushed out the pepper and cooked egg :rolleyes: much better than what's coming out of it. Might be roadtripping up to Inuvik in a few weeks :steer:, so a good time to get the swap out of the way.

just did this mod

cut the shroud in half with a saws all, then bolted it back to the radiator just like normal. SO far a very easy mod.

Great post. I got so wrapped up in my radiator project that I forgot to put the shroud back on! When I saw what I'd done I was worried it might start to run hot, but I was wrong. Maybe its because I live at high altitude and its pretty cool, or downright cold here(northern CO), and winters almost here....but I'm gonna wait till next SPring to cut the shroud in half. And replace all hoses too. The photos are great. I will use them for reference when i do it. Looks pretty easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom