This normal? Lateral piston movement 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
me and a buddy pulled my '78 2F because of an oiling issue. We pulled the head and noticed a fair amount of lateral piston motion. First time either of us had pulled a 2F head. Is this normal? The cylinders were pretty clean and there were no ridges at the top of the cylinder. We have not measured the cylinders yet...

I'm sure further measurements etc will tell the story, but calling it for the night and curious...

There will be some side to side play on a well used engine. A new engine will only have about .002 to .003 clearance in the cylinder. It was hard to tell from your video how much clearance you actually have, but the purpose of the piston rings is to fill the gaps between the piston and the cylinder walls. Best way to see if there is a problem is to do a compression test before you remove the head.

Way to much. You could run a compression check, see where you are at, but it's time to pull the pistons, check the walls and go from there with boring/rings etc....

Thanks for the comments guys. Dry compression was recently checked and was between 110 and 120 on all cylinders. (Should have run wet as well but did not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom