Thinking of buying a 2007-08 FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greeeeeaaaaatttttt......I just checked. Mine was built in '06. Sweeeeet. I've got a faulty diff with the durability of peanut brittle. Awesome.

No wheelin' for me I guess.

Mine was built in '06, never had a problem. The issue is fairly well documented and greatly exagerated. As someone who bought in the beginning, witnessed first hand people blowing their ring & pinion in virtually all generations, it is clear that Mr. Toyota under-engineered the rear ring & pinion, combined with oversized tires, inexperience and heavy use of the skinny pedal are the most significant factors to the life one's FJC rear ring & pinion gears.

My stock gears survived the Rubicon, Moab x3, every trail in between then blew my Yukon 4.88's pulling onto NC12 in the outer banks, one wheel on pavement, the other in sand. Once both hit the pavement, with too much throttle, full traction with 35" tires popped 3 teeth on the ring gear. I watched owners giving it a "bump" to get over an obstacle, create too much wheel spin, catch traction, blow their rear-end and blame everything but their technique.

Bottom line is wheeling is expensive, particularly when pushing the limits, stay under 33" tires, use ATRAC all the time, the rear locker very judiciously and learn to drive with as little throttle as possible to get through the obstacle...

well that makes me feel MUCH better.............thanks for the knowledge as usual. yeah, don't see an ATRAC button on my rig. Is it able to be installed at a later date???

Mounted 33's coupla months back. didn't want to go any bigger for that and multiple other reasons.

I've been really good about changing diff oil and haven't seen any signs of excessive wear with each change. Hoping that will prolong life, as well.

Yep mine blew with 34" LTB Swampers and using the rear locker. I almost never use the rear locker now, since ATrac seems to work better and "protects" the rear diff a bit more by keeping spinning gears in check. If you have the rear locker switch, you can add the Atrac switch for about $40 (the harness is already prewired on locker FJCs). Plenty of documentation on how to install that here or elsewhere.

ugghhhh.....no bueno. if I tried EITHER mod myself to add ATRAC after the fact, I'm pretty certain I'll ruin something.

I need dumb guy PICS/DIAGRAMS.....Thanks again though.

ugghhhh.....no bueno. if I tried EITHER mod myself to add ATRAC after the fact, I'm pretty certain I'll ruin something.

I need dumb guy PICS/DIAGRAMS.....Thanks again though.

To repeat Rick's post, can only add ATRAC switch if you already have the rear locker factory installed.

If you do have the factory rear locker, installing the ATRAC switch is as easy as knocking a switch blank out, plugging the switch in and pushing it into the hole. I'm very confident you can do this upgrade...

no, I know it...........I was speaking of the hack to enable both rear locker AND ATRAC simultaneously.

While we're on this though........I've got the RR DIFF button. The wiring harness for the ATRAC is to the immediate right of the RR DIFF button, correct? What's all this nonsense about shorting out pink and black wires? Necessary with aftermarket switch but not Toyota part # 84988-35060, I hope? Thanks again.......

ARRGGHHHH!!!!!! Already ordered from PURE FJ CURISER ACCESSORIES. Thanks anyways though boss......Appreciate ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom