The “nothing innovative” trailer build, a 30th birthday present to myself. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lately I seem to be able to convince myself of just about anything, so with my annual Moab trip in October including several good friends from all over the country and my parents, I thought it might be nice to have a good “basecamp” setup. This thought, coupled with the fact that I bought a maggiolina airland tent was all the fuel I needed to say “you know, I should build a trailer” and here we are. I really want my parents to be comfortable on this trip, so let’s buy them a tent and build them a trailer for a one time trip, totally makes sense.

I’ve owned 3 m416’s and a few other utility trailers over the years, and modified them a bit, but always found myself wishing I could start with a simple, stout utility trailer and go from there, a sort of blank slate. This certainly isn’t an “expo” trailer, but instead will be a utility trailer that happens to have a nice hardshell roof top tent bolted to it.

Design requirements for “stage one”

About 4x6 inside

Flat tailgate

It has to weigh less than a billion pounds (roughly)

Same width axle (or really close) to my 80 series land cruiser

It can’t cost me a billion dollars to build (roughly)

It has to be useable as a utility trailer, stout enough to be borrowed by friends, be able to do many things, and be ready to roll by the end of september.

So with that in mind I ordered up some steel to get started. I chose to go with 2x3x.120 wall for the frame, 1x2x.065 for the floor support and cross members and hitch steel for the tongue and rear receiver. I originally planned on running a solid spare of hitch steel front to rear, but chose not to in an effort to save weight (see build requirement number 3). The box portion will be constructed of 1x2, and the top rail will be more of the same material, laid on its side to create a nice flat surface for a future lid to lay on. The floor will be 14 gauge steel and have several tie downs, the tailgate will be faced with 16 gauge stainless steel to function as a work bench and food prep surface. I’m not too far into the process right now, having only spent a total of about 8 hours on it, but when I return from vacation, I hope to be able to devote more time.

Some pics of progress so far, and a one of the land cruiser for good measure.

trailer frame 2.JPG

trailer frame.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

What depth are you at? I went with 15t"- just enough to keep the coleman cooler below the rim...

I went with 20 inches to the top rail. I wanted to be able to stand my fuel cans upright, along with fit some of my larger pelican cases when I make the lid later on down the road. It may end up being a bit cumbersome to reach over the rail, but if that's the case, then trailer 2.0 will have lower walls.

It's a terrible iPotato night shot, but we have a rolling trailer! I had a bit of time last night to get the axle built, spring perches tacked and spring mounts tacked to the frame. I'm headed out on vacation and needed it to be rolling before I leave.

trailer 3.JPG

You'll love the 4x 6... perfect all around size...I prolly shoulda gone 4 more inches myself on the walls. Looks great. Get some fenders lights and flaps and you're 90% done!

Flat top fenders are nice for...

IMG_2698.JPG

I'll be doing flat top fenders for sure. Still a loooooooonnng list of things to do when I get back!

Might be too late, but I think you should look at revising the tongue's main tube. It really wants to extend under the trailer to the first cross-member at the least.

Might be too late, but I think you should look at revising the tongue's main tube. It really wants to extend under the trailer to the first cross-member at the least.

I agree with this. Or, at the very least, you might consider putting some gussets in the triangular portion up front where it connects into the draw bar and the main box of the trailer. You could do six gussets total in there and it should substantially increase the strength of that area. So far this is a nice looking design, I'm interested to see where you go with it.

The gussets would help but they won't cure the basic problem of not enough Section Modulus at the point where the bending moment is the highest.

Thanks for the info! This is something I have been thinking about as well.

The pictures don't show it well, but there is already gusseting in place where the tongue extends through the front cross member. They are made out of square tube, in order to gain some resistance to bending, in addition to stopping the tongue from trying to pull through or deform the front cross member. The front central "floor support" is welded to the tongue and front cross member. When I get home, I will likely be adding some more strategically placed tube to provide some bend resistance under less than ideal circumstances.

My original intention was to have a "center spar" of hitch material front to back on the trailer, but in an effort to save weight here and there I decided to get away from that idea. I know that would have been the strongest, but I also have a tendency to overbuild things, so I'm trying to shave some pounds here and there when I can without compromising too much strength.

Given the uses of this trailer, I don't imagine I will have any issues.

To be clear, I'm calling the first cross-member to be the one just forward of the axle as seen in this picture:

trailer-3-jpg.1500655

Not perfectly necessary, but I prefer to tie the tongue diagonals into the front face of the front spring hangers. This adds even more Section Modulus under the front frame rail where the bending moment is the highest in the whole frame.

Progress has been really slow, been taking weekends off to camp/travel/road trip etc. But I did make some progress over the past few days.

Tailgate frame completed and installed, still needs to be skinned with SS.

Tailgate latches figured out and installed, used some simple hitch pins and small tube. Once the tailgate seal is installed, it should hold pretty tight.

Mockup wheels and tires installed to get an idea for the height of things

More gusseting where the front hitch ties in, extending to first crossmember

Floor in place and stich welded around the perimeter and underneath

Rear bedside stiffeners/tail light mounts installed.

8 SS tie down loops installed in the bed.

trailer 4.JPG

trailer.JPG

Long overdue update:

I ended up taking a fire assignment with work and finished with that Tuesday of last week, and following that it was a fab-fest to get the trailer ready! It's mostly complete, which is a good thing because we leave for moab tomorrow!

IMG_7862.JPG

IMG_7863.JPG

IMG_7864.JPG

IMG_7865.JPG

IMG_7866.JPG

Trailer is for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom