Builds The 200 Build Is Finished....For Now. OME BP-51, ARB, TRD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to the many contributors of this forum I was able to copy a lot of you and build an amazing LC!
I thought it would be fair to post pictures (to show it off), and potentially help others who are interested in a similar build.
This is my wife's Land Cruiser named Elsie, which she loves to death and was very nervous about during the whole project.
Landcruiser Specialties in Oregon City, Oregon did all of the work except for the 8" Baja Design light install.

Upgrades made:
OME BP-51 suspension
TRD Rock Warrior 17" wheels (new)
BFG KO2 285/70/17
ARB front bumper
ARB Rear Bumper
Baja Designs LC9 8" amber, driving/combo lights

We have intentionally left the rear parking sensors out for now. Turning the system off completely was easier than installing the sensors, and we don't miss the annoying beeps. We both learned to drive before parking sensors existed and we know how to use mirrors.
After the major build was completed we took the truck to the Toyota dealership where they reset all the system malfunctioning screens. We had a headlight malfunction, cruise control malfunction, parking sensor malfunction. The dealer also re-calibrated (aimed it lower) the adaptive cruise control located behind the toyota emblem in the front grill. They did this because they believed the height of the vehicle had increased enough that it may not pick up lower vehicles on the road. Best of all they did this work for free. they did it for free because they initially said they would install the lights for me, but then said the service manager wouldn't allow it because it wasn't factory. Tim at Land Cruiser Specialties would have installed them but I didn't have the lights for him in time. We live 3 hours away.
So we took the LC out for the day onto some rough mountain roads for a test drive. The OME suspension, and tires have made such a huge improvement over stock! Not only is the off-road ride better but the on road ride is also better.
The lift has made the steering more responsive, which we like.
I got the Amber lights for the snow and fog that we occasionally get in Oregon.

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

This looks awesome. I am contemplating front and rear ARB bumpers but worried about the added weight and how my LC will drive. Did you notice any difference in the way it drives and break after all that added weight from both bumpers?

Looks great, did you install UCA,s in the front?

Looks fantastic! If you are going to take this off-road, I'd definitely get sliders on the list of next upgrades.

This looks awesome. I am contemplating front and rear ARB bumpers but worried about the added weight and how my LC will drive. Did you notice any difference in the way it drives and break after all that added weight from both bumpers?

It definitely drives differently, but in a good way. Better than the stock set up. ARB recommended the Heavy Springs with the new suspension upgrade because of the added weight of the bumpers. Because of the springs we haven't noticed any negative effects. We were originally going to do just bumpers. But because of the weight and reading on this forum I felt the suspension needed to be changed out, which led us to the OME BP-51.

Looks fantastic! If you are going to take this off-road, I'd definitely get sliders on the list of next upgrades.

Yes! Sliders are next. I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum about sliders. I'm leaning towards either the Slee or Metal Tech. I like the wider step for the rear passengers of the Metal Tech. My kids will appreciate them!

We did not have UCA's installed. I'm not sure if it's necessary or not? I am happy to take advice.
If your alignment is within spec and you aren’t having any issues with anything rubbing then no need for aftermarket UCA’s.

If your alignment is within spec and you aren’t having any issues with anything rubbing then no need for aftermarket UCA’s.

The wheels are perfect but the caster is slightly off. Couldn’t get both perfect. We have no rubbing.
Do you think this will be OK long term?

It definitely drives differently, but in a good way. Better than the stock set up. ARB recommended the Heavy Springs with the new suspension upgrade because of the added weight of the bumpers. Because of the springs we haven't noticed any negative effects. We were originally going to do just bumpers. But because of the weight and reading on this forum I felt the suspension needed to be changed out, which led us to the OME BP-51.
Sure. I am with you on the heavy springs. I have the same suspension with medium springs on my 2016 in addition to skids and sliders but no bumpers yet.

My rationale for bumpers is the added protection, winch, tire carrier to make room for longe range fuel tank. All that will have an impact on engine performance, MPG, GVW and how it feels on the road.

My question was more about how it drives with all that weight you have on the front and back.

The wheels are perfect but the caster is slightly off. Couldn’t get both perfect. We have no rubbing.
Do you think this will be OK long term?
There are alignment gurus on here (I am not one of them) who may be able to weigh in — especially if you post up an alignment print out. If it’s super close to spec, then I’d leave it as is. Just keep an eye on tire wear, stay on top of regular rotations, and spend the UCA money on sliders.

Sure. I am with you on the heavy springs. I have the same suspension with medium springs on my 2016 in addition to skids and sliders but no bumpers yet.

My rationale for bumpers is the added protection, winch, tire carrier to make room for longe range fuel tank. All that will have an impact on engine performance, MPG, GVW and how it feels on the road.

My question was more about how it drives with all that weight you have on the front and back.
The truck feels a lot better on the road than before the upgrades. It actually feels a little more nimble and lively than before. We have not tested the MPG's yet. I have not noticed any different engine or throttle feel. Still plenty of pep from the motor.

The truck feels a lot better on the road than before the upgrades. It actually feels a little more nimble and lively than before. We have not tested the MPG's yet. I have not noticed any different engine or throttle feel. Still plenty of pep from the motor.
Cool. What settings are you running on your front and rear BP-51s?

Cool. What settings are you running on your front and rear BP-51s?
Fronts come with the springs preloaded to 20mm which gives you 40-50mm of lift with a winch bumper & winch. The compression is set to 4-8 and the rebound is set to 7-10. These were 5 & 7. For the rear we used 2722 coils (.75" lift) and the shocks were 4 & 7. HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom