That driveline kick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 is new to me which is why I can't leave it alone right now. Driving it everyday, reading and posting about it etc.

One thing I discovered is that when driving straight at slow speeds on surface roads, I often feel a little kick in the driveline when coming to a stop or when releasing the brake just after a stop.

I spoke to my indie about it and he said he's gets the same thing in his 4Runner AWD. He thinks it's somehow related to the driveline binding up because of variations in tire diameter and for some reason the center diff releases the tension when the vehicle is stopped.

This was interesting and I wondered if other 80 owners ever experience this? For instance, I wonder if it happens at all after getting a new set of tires (all diameters equal). Thus new 80s would not have done this because of their new tires.

Of course, this would not happen at all during slippery winter conditions and never off-road. Just something for those who drive their 80s on pavement.

Coming over from the 40 group, I have never experienced Toyota AWD so it's all new to me.

search "clunk", grease your driveshafts, check to make sure your tranny is not overfull (can cause or make the clunk much worse) If you find a fix post it up.
thanks

Have you checked your tranny kickdown cable to see if it meets specs?

Two questions:

1) I have heard about the importance proper fluid level in a transmission. What is the proper procedure for verifying the fluid level is correct?

2) What exactly does the tranny kickdown cable do? I remember old school kick downs on cars but that was to drop down a gear when accelerating. In my case, I'm doing 35 mph on a straight flat road and coming to a stop by hitting the brake. Is the kickdown cable involved here?

I would love to know about the kickdown cable! I have a pretty big clunk when I take my foot of the accelerator. I have adjusted my throttle cable and flushed the tranny. Still have the issue

Mine does that sometimes when youre on the gas then let off suddenly. Usually happens when rolling up to a stop sign. Im thinking its because you catch the tranny while its shifting into 2nd gear if that makes any sense.... Ive kind of learned when and under what circumstances it does this and if I give it a shot of gas it will shift into second and not clunk at all.

An example would be accelerating in a parking lot from a stop but completely letting off the gas before it hits 2nd. I either take off slower so it stays in 1st or give it that shot of gas to make it shift before letting off.

Try keeping track of what gear youre in when it clunks then you can compensate like I do.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom