tail light diff breather install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
bought a tail light length breather kit from a user on GXOR. kit came very complete, with nice components. the hose is a semi silicone coated type, not just simple rubber.

I haven't seen many write ups on the installation through the tail light. I chose the driver side tail light. examining under the car, there is a circular port with a rubber grommet that houses the air bag pump breather. right under that is an oblong circular opening that has a hard plastic cover. I removed both of these and the tail light, to be able to see the hose path I desired.

PXL_20210617_200222991.jpg

PXL_20210617_200732730.jpg

after identifying the hose path desired, I routed a clothes hanger from the bottom up. the end of the clothes hanger came out here.

PXL_20210617_201323492.jpg

from here I taped the hose to the clothes hanger and pulled the clothes hanger down.

PXL_20210617_201533479.jpg

my intention was to reuse the circular port that housed the air pump breather.

PXL_20210617_203547599.jpg

here's the cannibalized grommet reinstalled on the new diff breather hose.

Last edited:
PXL_20210617_202536548.jpg

also decided to cannibalize the foam sleeve from around the air pump breather tube and installed it at the top of the diff breather, so there's no clattering inside the body panels.

the rest of the install was just hose routing, screwing in the breather nipple and tightening the hose clamps. these are all covered in other installs.

of note, I did not remove the spare to do this mod.

final takeaway, I would suggest people wait until they've deleted the air pump to do this mod. it makes for much more space and much more sensible hose routing. I had to route all my hose above the frame rail and save final lashing with zip ties for a future date when all this clutter is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom