T-case replacement question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 03 with a bad t-case. Was run low on oil and the chain is popping among other suspected problems such as bearings, etc. I’ve been searching for a good used case for a while now with only minimal luck. Everything I find seems to be $1200 and up and when I do find one for much less it is quickly gone before I get to it. A friend that used to be a TRD Parts guy told me the mid 2000’s V8 4Runner case would interchange and I can get them for roughly $300 and up but a current Toyota Dealer mechanic friend looked it up and says they won’t interchange. Does anybody know definitively? What about rebuild kits? Sure would like to get this thing rolling again. TIA

I am by no means an expert on this, but I do know for sure that 4th gen 4Runners use an electronic switch to shift the transfer case, whereas the GX470 obviously uses a mechanical shifter.

That's funny--all the 4th gen 4Runner guys want to figure out how to swap in a GX T-case for the lever!

From what I understand, the case is pretty much the same. But the electric actuator on the 4Runner controls both low range and diff lock, unlike the GX, which only works the diff lock. I think it would take some serious fabrication to make it work with a lever.

Thanks guys. Hats pretty much what I've been reading. So... The search continues for an affordable replacement or a rebuild...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom