swapping cams....tight valves... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally found a donor head for my head gasket job(my previous head was warped). When the donor head showed up, the end of the exhaust cam was broken. So, I swapped the exhaust cam, exhaust side bearing caps, and exhaust side lifters and shims from the warped head over. I now have a couple of exhaust valves that are .003 in. too tight(.007 clearances). Can I run these valves this tight for a while while I wait on shims(I have to get the cruiser out of the shop its in ASAP)? And do ou see any long term problems with running a cam from another head? Thanks, Josh

I finally found a donor head for my head gasket job(my previous head was warped). When the donor head showed up, the end of the exhaust cam was broken. So, I swapped the exhaust cam, exhaust side bearing caps, and exhaust side lifters and shims from the warped head over. I now have a couple of exhaust valves that are .003 in. too tight(.007 clearances). Can I run these valves this tight for a while while I wait on shims(I have to get the cruiser out of the shop its in ASAP)? And do ou see any long term problems with running a cam from another head? Thanks, Josh
The biggie here is the swapping of the bearing caps , thats a big "no no" As for setting the clearance the shims will do it .
Put the caps back on to the" new to you" head in the right spots then set up the valves with the shims.

So, as long as the bearing caps match the head....running this way shouldnt be a problem. Does it matter that the lifters are from the warped head? How about running with a couple of tight exhaust valves temporarily? Thanks

dont do it, you will burn a valve, just take the head to a reputable shop and have them adjust the valves

you also have a bunch of spare valve adjusting shims from the warped head.... swap some in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom