Suggestions: Staying Close to Denver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, the wife and I come to CO probably 5+ times a year. She’s got to be in Denver for a work in a few weeks. Usually we range between Salida and Leadville for camping/hiking/climbing/skiing. This time though we are staying close to Denver since it will be fairly short. I’ve never done anything other than drive through, or dip up to Boulder to see my Cousin. Hoping to not drive more than an hour or so from the outskirts, two tops.

Looking for suggestions on dog friendly:

Camping (we’ll be in her Outback, so probably about the same capabilities as a Jeep GC 😂). I looked at some iOverlander spots, but hard to tell how scenic they are. We prefer primitive, as we use a tent or the car.

Hiking (prefer loops around 6 miles or so and out and returns around 3 miles each way or shorter. But definitely want some good views.)

Climbing. She’s not a fan of belaying yet so shorter sport or top rope climbs I can do with one 60m rope. She’s fairly new so maybe some good, juggy or slab climbs around 5.7 and down.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks, Michael.

Tons of great hikes in Jefferson CO, near Golden CO. Golden Gate State Park. The Galbraith trail is a nice 5 mile loop. Eldorado Canyon is popular for climbing, south of Boulder. There's a few suggestions to keep you busy for a few days.

Tons of great hikes in Jefferson CO, near Golden CO. Golden Gate State Park. The Galbraith trail is a nice 5 mile loop. Eldorado Canyon is popular for climbing, south of Boulder. There's a few suggestions to keep you busy for a few days.
Nice. I’ll consolidate some searches there. Any info on the Bear Canyon Loop at National Center for Atmospheric Research? I’ve heard it’s a good view. Fairly short though.

Flatirons have lots of loop options, plus you can climb them with trad gear.

Elderado is mostly trad, so check that out.

Tons of climbing up boulder canyon and up clear creek canyon outside of golden.

I was going to suggest maybe lumpy ridge up in Estes Park. It’s a little ways but not too far really. And then Rocky Mountain is right there, or up Longs Peak trail to the lake at the bottom of the diamond, etc.

Lots of dispersed camping options along the peak to peak highway.

Have fun!

We ended up camping at Peewink Mountain near Boulder. Good spot. Pretty easy to get back to, but the further back you go, the tougher the roads are. Was kind of dodgy in the Outback. Saw a couple moose and some ravens and jays.

No climbing, but plenty of hiking. We did some loops at the NCAR, which is a cool place to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom