Substitutes and place holders. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When the original parts were not available, what have you done to make it work?

Starting this thread as place to pass on information on substitute parts and sources for FJ40 parts that are “Discontinued”, “No Longer Available” or not in the current budget for your project.

Have you discovered parts from other model years or other vehicles that fit your FJ40?

Looking through old packing slips trying to find a part number and ran across a few items that might be useful to someone else.

Early FJ40 green & red dash lamp assemblies for turn signals and brake pressure warning to replace corroded no-longer-available lamps.

12 volt panel lamps with chrome bezels:
Lamp assemblies from ElecDirect industrial supply, ElecDirect.com.
Green lens lamp assembly Cole-Hersee PL-20-GC000-BX
Red lens lamp assembly Cole-Hersee PL-20-RC000-BX

Substitute Brake Master Cylinder for early FJ40 with power brake booster and front disc brake conversion bolts to 1972 vintage brake booster.
No proportioning valve required.
Non-ABS Brake master cylinder from later model Toyotas.
1993 to 1994 Landcruiser non-ABS
1993 to 1995 4-Runner "
1993 to 1995 Toyota pickup "
1994 to 1998 T-100 "
Centric part number 130-44720

DSC00572.JPG

View attachment 1484759

Dash lamps marked jp.jpg

ceb-130-44720_ml[1].jpg

I went with a break master and booster from a "Geo Metro" Installed it years ago with no vacuum and it worked great, we finally got the vacuum lines hooked up and wow does it work well, stops like a new car. Plus it is small and compact and works well with older fj40's where the carburetor will interfere with most other options for a booster and dual circuit.

For the older dual wiper motors I have seen this posted many times. I think I have two motors from a right hand drive fj40 so I might have to give these a try "United Pacific Wiper Motors A6236", cheapest place is summit racing.

For wiper arms, looks like ANCO makes adjustable length ones anco Wiper Blades 4102 and a shorter anco Wiper Blades 4101. These are what SOR sells but a lot cheaper from Summit racing also.

wiring harness I went with a EZ-Wiring harness 12 circuit. Was really easy to install and nice to no I should not have issues with 50+ year old harness shorting out. There is no aftermarket FJ40 harness so do not waster your money with those, they are just universal ones like I bought but a lot more pricey because they are from an fj40 parts dealers.

I have been able to find all other needed parts on ebay for pretty cheap if you watch it long enough or from other members here on classified. ebay is hit or miss, the part can sell for $10 this week and another exact same one could sell for $100 next month.

I went with a break master and booster from a "Geo Metro" Installed it years ago with no vacuum and it worked great, we finally got the vacuum lines hooked up and wow does it work well, stops like a new car. Plus it is small and compact and works well with older fj40's where the carburetor will interfere with most other options for a booster and dual circuit.

Thanks for the info.
I want to get rid of the single circuit master cylinder on a '70 FJ40 and add a booster.
This sounds like a good setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom