STUMPED! 1985 FJ60 Turn Signal/Hazard issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigHighBlue

GOLD Star
Threads
I noticed recently as I was doing a check up for my annual inspection that when I turn on my headlights then turn on a turn signal both tail lights come on as if the hazards are on. Only the rear "hazards" blink not the front. The opposite side turn signal does not blink just the red tail light portion.

Relevant Info:

1. The rear lights have been replaced with an led set. Done by a PO. As a result an led flasher relay has been jumped in place of the OEM.
2. The issue only exists in the rear the front is normal.

Trouble shooting steps so far:

1. Completely removed the Koito/Toyota headlight harness I recently installed in case somehow that was causing the issue
2. Unplugged the front blinker assemblies. I recently added ARB blinkers to that wiring thus isolating any possible connection to the factory system
3. Replaced the aftermarket LED flasher relay and jumper wires
4. Bought an aftermarket headlight/wiper/turn signal switch in the event that the problem existed in that assembly.
5. Replaced the rear tail light harness ground. Cut off the factory connector cleaned the area where it connects then reinstalled.

I'm all out of ideas so I'm turning it over to mud...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas you have!

Found it-Somehow the trailer brakes were causing it. I unspliced the commections and removed the module/relay thingy and voila! As an added bonus I found about 4 inches of standing water in my rear quarter. Not sure how its getting in there yet but I popped the rubber plugs out and evacuated. Maybe the water caused a short or caused the module to fail?

I'll leave this up in the event that it helps someone down the road. Now I get to put it all back together. Net positive in the end as I cleaned out just about everything from previous owners that wasn't OEM, changed and improved a bunch of connectors and splices. Hopefully someone down the line has an easier time.

Cheers!!

Interesting. This fellow recently had the same issue:

Funny how these issues seem to come in waves like this. Glad you figured it out.

Interesting. This fellow recently had the same issue:

Funny how these issues seem to come in waves like this. Glad you figured it out.
Thank you. Also funny how many times I tried searching Mud looking for a similar issue and never came across the one you shared…Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom