Studded Snow Tire Options Winter 2014 onward (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Colorado- On the road and in the backcountry
This is not a debate of wether or not you need studded tires or not to drive on certain roads.

Simply I am trying to compile a list of suitable tires for packed snow, ice, and mixed dirt roads.

Pleas feel free to add to the list and upload pics of your current setup!:bounce:

So here goes.

The current studable list of light truck tires by brand and name are:

Treadwright:

ALL tires can be pinned for studs

Goodyear:

Wrangler Duratrac
Ultra Grip Winter,
Ultra Grip® Ice WRT

BFG:

Commercial T/A Traction

Cooper Tires:

DISCOVERER S/T MAXX™
DISCOVERER S/T™
DISCOVERER M+S™

(Mastercraft)

Courser MSR

Nitto:

EXO Grappler AWT

Toyo:

OPEN COUNTRY I/T
M55

Nokian:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV

Firestone:

Destination M/T
Winterforce LT

BIG O:

Bigfoot XT

General:

Grabber AT2

Hankook:

Dynapro MT
i*Pike RW11

Hercules:

Terra Trac D/T
Trail Digger M/T
Ironman All Country M/T
Avalanche X-treme LT

Last edited:
I have the Cooper M&S Studded in the 275 70 18. Would have gone with the Toyo M55 (same size, siped and studded), but they are way way more expensive. The Coopers are great so far...

This is not a debate of wether or not you need studded tires or not to drive on certain roads.

Simply I am trying to compile a list of suitable tires for packed snow, ice, and mixed dirt roads...........

Your thread title and these first 2 statements make me wonder if you're aware that in most places that allow studs, you can only run them in certain winter months. So if you're planning on running them, you'd better have another set for the rest of the year.

Personally, I've lived in snow country for most of my driving life. Places like: Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota & Minnesota. I ran them for a while and I think they're more trouble than they're worth. (Only exception would be steep paved icy roads.) It's better to just polish your winter driving skills and select a good set of A/T or all season tires that work well in snow and ice. If you traverse mountain passes in the West, you'll need "Traction tires" (link for definition) and or chains if the weather closes in. Hope this helps you decide. Some folks swear by studded tires and it's true, in some conditions they allow you to travel at higher speeds with more confidence. If you do run them, like previously mentioned, you'll need another set of stud-less tires for the rest of the year.

@80t0ylc Totally i understand. I've lived in Vermont, NY, Colorado, Alaska, Quebec, and travel extensively in the winter on mountain passes and desolate highways for my job. Ski guiding.

Do I have studded tires currently- Yes!
Do I carry chains with me as well- Yes!

Vermont, Colorado, and Wyoming are three states where I'm positive you can run studs all year long.

"Allowing studs" is one thing. The fact that I know I'll have a better chance of staying on the road in packed ice is what I'm concerned about. There is no way you can tell me that an all season tire works better.

I'll change tires gladly to stay alive.

I've been rear ended twice on the highway by someone in the winter due to conditions.

The first time a woman had brand new all seasons but the 6 inches of solid ice on the highway did nothing for her stopping power. She totaled her Rav-4 when she hit my tundra's hitch. Not a scratch on my car.

The second time a gentleman rear ended my car in Quebec in Feb. when temps were around -20F. The highway had a solid 3 inches of ice. He slammed into my FJ60 when I slowed down to let a 18-wheeler regain traction after jackknifing. He was nearly decapitated after slamming his Audi A4 into my custom bumper forcing his head to smack square into my bumper.

Vermont, Colorado, and Wyoming are three states where I'm positive you can run studs all year long.....
Thanks for the info, I hadn't realized laws have changed a lot in many places. It's been 24 years since I lived in Wyoming and 38 yrs since I lived in the Minnesota/North Dakota area. Back then, if you were caught with studded tires in Wisconsin, your car was impounded and you went to jail. It mattered not if you were a resident or a visitor. Regardless, in the lower 48, it does not make sense to me, to run studs year around. But, it's your call.
"Allowing studs" is one thing. The fact that I know I'll have a better chance of staying on the road in packed ice is what I'm concerned about. There is no way you can tell me that an all season tire works better.

I'll change tires gladly to stay alive.

I've been rear ended twice on the highway by someone in the winter due to conditions.

The first time a woman had brand new all seasons but the 6 inches of solid ice on the highway did nothing for her stopping power. She totaled her Rav-4 when she hit my tundra's hitch. Not a scratch on my car.

The second time a gentleman rear ended my car in Quebec in Feb. when temps were around -20F. The highway had a solid 3 inches of ice. He slammed into my FJ60 when I slowed down to let a 18-wheeler regain traction after jackknifing. He was nearly decapitated after slamming his Audi A4 into my custom bumper forcing his head to smack square into my bumper.
Hey, only relating what works for me. Studs only help on hard frozen surfaces such as glare ice or black ice. They're not much help on packed or virgin snow - chains are needed for help in that. It's been my experience that the tread of the tire is the better all around performer in winter conditions. I'd be concentrating on tread pattern and rubber compounds, if it were me. Siping the tires can also help. You can slap chains on studded or stud-less tires if needed.

Also your tire pressure can come into play. I was picking up a slide in camper for a Ford pickup running Toyo M55 tires a couple winters ago and had my tire pressure up around max rating. The roads were just glare ice after some freezing rain. I was sliding all over the place, had trouble keeping it on the road. I was thinking about abandoning the trip when I remembered that I had pumped up the pressure the night before, in anticipation of picking up the heavy load. I pulled over and dropped the pressure down to about 5 psi under what was normal for the unloaded truck. I had no trouble the rest of the trip. Now, Toyo M55s are not the best winter tread, but they were siped and they did fine. And yes, I had to add some air to get the camper home.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419125580.871675.jpg

New Winter Force snows. The only test so far is in 1/2" snow ( which can be slipperier than deeper snow ) and the 4Runner stopped like on dry pavement.

How do you guys get 3-6"'of ice on the roads?? That's unheard of around here (CT)

People may complain about salt on New England State roads but they can't complain about the conditions. When it snows or ices around here the State and Town guys do an awesome job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom