Strange noise, Starter??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys!

Strange noise coming from my 1990 hdj81, I suspect its the starter???

was driving when i noticed a sound, like dry metal on metal spinning? sound, pulled over and it went away.

Parked for a while, then started it, pulled away and the sound started again. Pulled over and it went away. Stopped at the store and when i went to start it it would not turn over. Voltage is ok, batteries are good.

When i was trying to start it sounded like the starter was clicking and spinning, but not turning over the engine.

I waited a few min and it started.

Curious if this sounds like a starter issue, Im wondering which shop i gotta limp her into...

PLEASE any suggestions / help are much appreciated!!!!!

was driving when i noticed a sound, like dry metal on metal spinning? sound, pulled over and it went away.

Unless I’m mistaken (a distinct possibility) or there is something drastically wrong, the starter motor should not be engaged while you are driving. The starter motor should only be spinning when the key is actively turned to the Start position. On the road the key should be in the Run position and the starter motor should not be engaged.

Maybe your starter contacts are worn. You can get a starter rebuild kit from Wit's end with new contacts. I rebuilt mine using the kit and it starts quicker with more power now. Fully rebuilt starters are not that expensive either. Toughest part is removing the starter, had to use several extensions to access the mounting bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom