Stock springs without airbags? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, First post!

I have 2005 GX 470 that the previous owner has raised 2" with Old Man Emu springs. I want to get back to stock height (my RTT will not go in the garage).

If I trade my OME springs for some stock ones, will that lower the rig 2" or do the stock springs need the airbags to work?

Hey, First post!

I have 2005 GX 470 that the previous owner has raised 2" with Old Man Emu springs. I want to get back to stock height (my RTT will not go in the garage).

If I trade my OME springs for some stock ones, will that lower the rig 2" or do the stock springs need the airbags to work?
I would think you'd have little problem finding someone willing to trade stock airbags for your springs. Heck, if not for the shipping time involved I'd offer exactly that - and I have a set of bags that are only a few months old (plus a spare - one of my old ones still functioned).

If you do find someone to swap with, make certain they're including not just the bags in the trade, but the pump and air lines necessary to actuate the bags, as they've likely been removed from your truck.

_

I would think you'd have little problem finding someone willing to trade stock airbags for your springs. Heck, if not for the shipping time involved I'd offer exactly that - and I have a set of bags that are only a few months old (plus a spare - one of my old ones still functioned).

If you do find someone to swap with, make certain they're including not just the bags in the trade, but the pump and air lines necessary to actuate the bags, as they've likely been removed from your truck.

_

Thanks for the tip, however, I want stock height SPRINGS. I was of the opinion that the bags might be inside a set of springs (I have never seen them).

Rumor has it that 4runner and FJ springs are the same so I could trade with them.

Thanks for the tip, however, I want stock height SPRINGS. I was of the opinion that the bags might be inside a set of springs (I have never seen them).

The stock setup for a GX470 has no physical springs in the rear, only the airbags. If you have springs now, that means someone completely removed the airbags, installed a spring conversion kit (gives you a place to mount the springs as there's no spring perch where the airbags sat), then installed springs. It's possible they removed other parts of the air suspension system as well (which would make returning to a stock air setup expensive).

To answer your question, yes you can find springs that will return you to a stock ride height, but they aren't going to be from a "stock" GX. Finding shorter springs as you're suggesting will be easier and likely cheaper than converting back to a stock rear suspension setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom