stock roof rack questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes. i searched. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Can the stock roof rack with thule or yakima crossbars support the weight of a roof top tent?

2. What's the capacity of the stock rack?

3. Can the stock crossbars be removed without the removal of either the front foot or rear foot?

The answers to these questions may govern my decision to get an aftermarket rack.

I have seen people bolt the RTT to the stock parallel bars.

Sorry, dont know the answers to your other questions but figured that would help.

1. Can the stock roof rack with thule or yakima crossbars support the weight of a roof top tent? depends on how many occupants

2. What's the capacity of the stock rack? it is limited by the crossbars for 150lbs I think. With aftermarket bars it should be much more

3. Can the stock crossbars be removed without the removal of either the front foot or rear foot? I'm not sure, I would think you could but I haven't tried. I probably should to help out gas mileage.

The answers to these questions may govern my decision to get an aftermarket rack.

answers in red

hmm... 150lbs... i'm surprise that the stock cross bars can do that. I wonder how much the rails can support. I go back and forth with what i want to do. I'd like to be able to have the ability to throw a RTT up there, to be able to support a capacity for two adults and two children. (perhaps this may be too much weight). If i can get by with the stock rack that'd be great... otherwise i'm looking at the gobi or bajarack. hmm....

for 4 people and tent, I think you'll need a new rack.

I think the biggest RTT you can get on your roof is about the size of a Queen bed. Not sure if that would be a cozy way to spend time with the family, could be a bit tight, especially if you had 4 sleeping bags, pillows, shoes and a bit of gear.

This is a proper family size RTT, big enough for 4 adults, but I'm not sure if it can attach to the top of an LC. Even if it can, it's over 215lbs, it probably needs a very specific rack.
Eezi Awn - Roof Top Tents and retractable Side Awnings for vehicles - 2.2m Wide Series 3 Family Roof Tent

You may want to go in another direction than an RTT for a family of 4. You're looking at 5k for a roof rack and RTT. You can almost get yourself a used Baja, or Coleman Evolution trailer for that money. Not a true hardcore offroad trailer, but it can handle some abuse and certainly better for the family.
RTT.jpg
Colemanevo.jpg

yeah. as you can see, i'm not very experienced in this area of travel. 5k is crazy expensive for what i want to do. time to read up more. for now, perhaps the stock rack will do.

Get yourself a few sleeping bags and an REI 4 person tent. It'll save you thousands!

I loaded cargo directly on my roof (~175lbs) to maximize load area within the oem roof rack system . I just assumed the ribbed area was there for this reason.
Is this normal? Anyone know weight capacity on the roof directly? Is it still 150lbs?

Sent from my droid

1. Can the stock roof rack with thule or yakima crossbars support the weight of a roof top tent?

2. What's the capacity of the stock rack?

3. Can the stock crossbars be removed without the removal of either the front foot or rear foot?

Its the cross bars that have the weight limit of 150lbs, not the rails. I removed my crossbars ( had to cut them off with a grinder; you do have to remove the feet unless) and installed after market crossbars. I bet you they would easily hold 500 lbs + . I know that I had 6 4x8 sheets of 5/8 drywall @ 70 lbs per sheet on top once with out any issues at all.

I loaded cargo directly on my roof (~175lbs) to maximize load area within the oem roof rack system . I just assumed the ribbed area was there for this reason.
Is this normal? Anyone know weight capacity on the roof directly? Is it still 150lbs?

Sent from my droid
REPOST

Anyone know the stock roof capacity?

REPOST

Anyone know the stock roof capacity?

Only a few years late on this one. I did the same as you, I have my stock rails being used to pinch my max tracks below the rails. Requires no hardware and is a clean and low look. When going wheelin' I throw bags of gear, wood, or whatever I need directly on the roof and use the bars to secure the load.
Been doing that for two years and it works just fine. I image anything over 100 lbs or so would get a bit stressful on the roof but for most gear it works and you don't have to waste your money on an aftermarket roof rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom