Stock Headlights: HID vs Slee Harness & 65W HIR's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I want to keep my stock light housing assembly and looking for the best (brightest and reliable) lighting option for under $100.

From what I have read and seen so far, I have narrowed it down to the two options in the subject line, I'm leaning towards a 45-55W HID kit, which are readily available with a lifetime warranty for @ $100.

Any advice from those of you that are running either set-up or have tried both? Anything on the market that's better at this price point?

hey - I'm running HIRs on a Slee harness (just the low beams, I have Aux driving lights to assit hi-beams when needed, I might add them when a Low beam burns out and I have have headlights out again.)

Found the bulbs for $12 a pop. Night and day difference in output. I can comment on before and after with Slee harness with those bulbs. I installed the Slee with stock bulbs, and saw no real diff so went for the HIR as a next step. Super happy with the result. Also saw a modest gain with a new AGM battery (at least in brain my brain.) Next phase was going to be HIDs, but spent that money on the AGM instead.

Don’t do hids unless you’re retrofitting in a proper hid projector. The reflector is designed around a halogen bulb focal point, and hid bulb will have a different focal point which will throw light and glare where it’s not intended and can blind other drivers. Do the hir, proper pattern and good lumen increase.

Hi guys, I want to keep my stock light housing assembly and looking for the best (brightest and reliable) lighting option for under $100.

From what I have read and seen so far, I have narrowed it down to the two options in the subject line, I'm leaning towards a 45-55W HID kit, which are readily available with a lifetime warranty for @ $100.

Any advice from those of you that are running either set-up or have tried both? Anything on the market that's better at this price point?

What vehicle is this going on ?

80-series land cruiser. Thanks for all the feedback! I still haven't made a decision. Leaning more towards a 55W HID option at this point. For those of you running them on an 80, is there that much "dirty light" that's thrown all over the place, and if so would pointing them a bit lower solve the problem? The 80's I've seen with a @5000k HID seem to put out some pretty decent light

80-series land cruiser. Thanks for all the feedback! I still haven't made a decision. Leaning more towards a 55W HID option at this point. For those of you running them on an 80, is there that much "dirty light" that's thrown all over the place, and if so would pointing them a bit lower solve the problem? The 80's I've seen with a @5000k HID seem to put out some pretty decent light

Pointing them down just gives a hot spot in front and kills distance. Why I say do the hirs and harness to keep the focus proper. Or do hids properly and do depo clear housings with hid projectors retrofitted to properly focus the light.

Hey all, can anyone comment on results of HIR vs stock halogen for high beams - vehicle is LX570. Due to start times, not really interested in HID (have those in lo beams) and LED does not perform all that well for high beams .

Thank you

PS - to the OP contemplating HIDs in a stock 80 series low beam housing - just don't - you'll be "that" guy that is blinding every oncoming car. Really has to be a projector lense.

Hey all, can anyone comment on results of HIR vs stock halogen for high beams - vehicle is LX570. Due to start times, not really interested in HID (have those in lo beams) and LED does not perform all that well for high beams.

Have that setup in an LX470. HID low beams, HIR high beams. Works well (thought the HID output totally drowns out the high beam). Still, I think it was worthwhile, especially given that cost for HIR is relatively low.

Edit: to those contemplating LEDs—not if you're in a snow area. They don't put out enough heat to keep the lens clear in a decent storm, and snow just piles up and kills the output. I have the STEDI LED fogs in an ARB bar, and they're 100% useless after about 8 minutes of driving in snow.

Have that setup in an LX470. HID low beams, HIR high beams. Works well (thought the HID output totally drowns out the high beam). Still, I think it was worthwhile, especially given that cost for HIR is relatively low.

Edit: to those contemplating LEDs—not if you're in a snow area. They don't put out enough heat to keep the lens clear in a decent storm, and snow just piles up and kills the output. I have the STEDI LED fogs in an ARB bar, and they're 100% useless after about 8 minutes of driving in snow.
Thanks, appreciate the chime in - I tried the Toshiba (old style) HIR in my 470 hi beam but I didn't get much of an increase on the hi beam side (also HID on lo beam). While the cost is not huge - pulling the battery to do the drivers side is the real (for me ) PITA- maybe I'll try passenger only for the HIR.

It's not any less fun in the 470, that's for sure. I also didn't notice an enormous difference, but any little bit helps (when I did it, I had not yet converted the low beams).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom