1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock Headlights: HID vs Slee Harness & 65W HIR's

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lankan, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Lankan

Lankan

Hi guys, I want to keep my stock light housing assembly and looking for the best (brightest and reliable) lighting option for under $100.

From what I have read and seen so far, I have narrowed it down to the two options in the subject line, I'm leaning towards a 45-55W HID kit, which are readily available with a lifetime warranty for @ $100.

Any advice from those of you that are running either set-up or have tried both? Anything on the market that's better at this price point?

2. HardyDanger

HardyDanger

hey - I'm running HIRs on a Slee harness (just the low beams, I have Aux driving lights to assit hi-beams when needed, I might add them when a Low beam burns out and I have have headlights out again.)

Found the bulbs for $12 a pop. Night and day difference in output. I can comment on before and after with Slee harness with those bulbs. I installed the Slee with stock bulbs, and saw no real diff so went for the HIR as a next step. Super happy with the result. Also saw a modest gain with a new AGM battery (at least in brain my brain.) Next phase was going to be HIDs, but spent that money on the AGM instead.

3. coloradobound

coloradobound

Media:
    Albums:
    Don’t do hids unless you’re retrofitting in a proper hid projector. The reflector is designed around a halogen bulb focal point, and hid bulb will have a different focal point which will throw light and glare where it’s not intended and can blind other drivers. Do the hir, proper pattern and good lumen increase.

4. half k cruiser

half k cruiser

What vehicle is this going on ?

5. Lankan

Lankan

80-series land cruiser. Thanks for all the feedback! I still haven't made a decision. Leaning more towards a 55W HID option at this point. For those of you running them on an 80, is there that much "dirty light" that's thrown all over the place, and if so would pointing them a bit lower solve the problem? The 80's I've seen with a @5000k HID seem to put out some pretty decent light

6. coloradobound

coloradobound

Media:
    Albums:
    Pointing them down just gives a hot spot in front and kills distance. Why I say do the hirs and harness to keep the focus proper. Or do hids properly and do depo clear housings with hid projectors retrofitted to properly focus the light.

7. galandcruiser97

galandcruiser97

Neither. I would get some led lights. GTR Lighting is the best for beam pattern and brightness