Stock 2009 GX470 with 39,000 miles - tire recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just purchased a new-to-me 2009 GX470 with 39,000 original miles. At dealer now for full fluids swap, TB,WP, belts and CV boots just to baseline as the car is 11years old. The dealer put on 4 new tires - Dunlop AT20 265/65/17. I see that the feedback on these tires is horrible. What would you replace them with on stock suspension. Mostly highway/street use, but I WOULD LIKE to take it on trails and perhaps even to the mountains/light snow occasionally! What are your recommendations? Looking for safety and cost is not my primary driver, dependability is. Would Faulkins AT3 work and still be quite on the road? Any input is appreciated!!

BFG K02 are proven, ubiquitous and available in lots of sizes. Cooper Discoverer AT3 are pretty popular and reliable 90/10: street/trail use tires. Falkens wouldn't be a bad choice either.

BFG K02 are proven, ubiquitous and available in lots of sizes. Cooper Discoverer AT3 are pretty popular and reliable 90/10: street/trail use tires. Falkens wouldn't be a bad choice either.

any proven size that looks good and fits? 265/65/17 is what is stock. Replace with like size?

You could go with that or 265/70 17, which is an inch taller with the same width and fits stock suspension. 265/70 fills out the wheel wells a little more and looks better in my opinion. They will be a little heavier and your speedometer will be off by a hair but not much.

What would you replace them with on stock suspension. Mostly highway/street use, but I WOULD LIKE to take it on trails and perhaps even to the mountains/light snow occasionally!

Toyo Open Country AT II's

Best known for their long life with plenty of capability off-road and in snow. Falkens look nice but wear very quickly. KO2's are the business but are HEAVY and very firm due to their 10-ply construction. For your planned use, the Toyo's are a perfect fit.

Toyo Open Country AT II's

Best known for their long life with plenty of capability off-road and in snow. Falkens look nice but wear very quickly. KO2's are the business but are HEAVY and very firm due to their 10-ply construction. For your planned use, the Toyo's are a perfect fit.
Thanks for the input! Would you go 265/65/17 or 265/70/17 or other on stock?

I had good luck with Cooper AT3's. Falken are really hit and miss in my experience running them on other vehicles. I would do 265/70/r17 if you are planning to keep it stock. I dont think you will notice any performance difference but you will gain a larger contact patch (traction).

Thanks for the input! Would you go 265/65/17 or 265/70/17 or other on stock?

Personal preference. The 265/70/17's fit, including the spare (you'll need to replace the spare as AWD requires a matching spare). But if you're honest with yourself and the truck will be on asphalt 99+% of the time, why mess with the stock formula.

Personal preference. The 265/70/17's fit, including the spare (you'll need to replace the spare as AWD requires a matching spare). But if you're honest with yourself and the truck will be on asphalt 99+% of the time, why mess with the stock formula.
Thanks for the reply! Again, the dealer had put tires on it a week before I bought it (OEM - DUNLOP AT20 x 4). I suppose the rational thing to do is to buy a matching Dunlop tire for the spare (currently an original BRIDGESTONE) and just drive on them until I hit 15-20k and decide then. Just read bad things about them, but they are new (free to me).

There is nothing wrong with the road manners of the dunlops since they were free to you. Keep in mind that any offroad tire is going to have a harsher ride on the road with more road noise if you do switch to one. I have a set of Cooper AT3s as well for my truck and its like night and day in the quietness and smoothness switching between the 2 sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom