Stihl starter pawls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the starter cord on my 075 AV saw and now the starter pawls won't engage the cup on the flywheel. how the heck does this work ? I assumed that centrifugal force made the pawls engage the starter cup , but am I missing some thing here ?

What type of starter pawl system do you have?

The polymer finger style or the FairBanks Morse Slip Shoe style?

If it is the Polymer finger style, you put the retaining spring on backwards.

If it is the FairBanks Morse Slip Shoe style, you could have put them on upside down or check your workbench for a little fibre washer about the size of a dime with a square D hole in it.

They used both styles on the 075.

It is the FairBanks style and I didn't remove it to change the cord. I did take the C clip off and the large flat washer under it , the fibre washer is still in place on the starter shaft. that's why I don't see why it isn't engaging, it was working fine.

No, it is on the pulley axle between the fibre washer and the large flat washer. (what you are calling the pulley axle, I'm assuming is what the manual calls the starter shaft) Is it possible that the helical spring is weak or too soft which doesn't allow the pawls to engage the starter cup on the flywheel ? As a last resort, if I can't get it to work, I have a 076 AV that has the polymer finger style starter. The casing is bad but maybe I can put the polymer finger on the 075 ? I don't quite understand how you remove the starter pulley without the recoil spring coming loose.

You would have to change flywheels (and possible the ignitions module to match the flywheel) to use the 076 starter assy.

I will tear one apart next time I'm in the shop and get some pictures of the common problems.

You would have to change flywheels (and possible the ignitions module to match the flywheel) to use the 076 starter assy.

I will tear one apart next time I'm in the shop and get some pictures of the common problems.
D'Animal , I figured out what is wrong. I squirted some lube on the starter shaft when I replaced the starter cord and I got the fibre washers oily. They have to be dry to allow that friction shoe assembly to work. I also need to replace the 2 fibre washers and the 2 thin metal washers that go on each outer side of them. I did a search for Fairbanks Morse friction starters and on the arboristsite.com web site I found a real good description of the starter and a Stihl diagram of the assembly with the part numbers for each individual part. Thanks much for your help. One post on the subject said that all of the parts for the starter are still available from Stihl , I hope he is right ! I need 2 p/n 0000 958 1010 washers and 2 p/n 1106 195 9001 fibre washers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom