Stihl MS180 C-BE boggs down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok got the filter out and it seems ok. I can blow through it and suck and air goes back and forth. seems easier when I sucked on it. I blew on the fuel line and nothing. Couldn't get anything to blow through it. So what is the next thing that you suggest for me to do.

Ok Mr. D' Animal I was thinking about when I was blowing threw the filter and was thinking that it got easier after doing it a few times. So I poured the fuel in and started it, and it actually reved up like it is supposed to do! The service manager said he would waive the $20 if I bought a new saw. Being on a budget but wanting a quality say I said ok I want the MS 180 cb that's $199.99 plus my wife had a $10 off coupon. So after paying for it he handed my my saw back. I guess I'll be there 1st thing tomorrow morning asking him to start my siezed motor and tell him I want my money back for the other saw, since he cant order it till tomorrow. Today being memorial day. Oh and if I could find the write up he gave me I was going to scan it and post it, but I don't know what I did with it.
So my next question to you is how can I make a donation to this site to help support it on your behalf for your help?

I'm glad the fuel filter was plugged. The cap where the nipple goes into the filter comes off. Once you pry the cap off you can pull the element out and have a look at it. You cannot buy just the element, just the filter assy.

Sorry you were mistreated at the dealership.

They should refund your money. Satisfaction Guarantee is a policy STIHL has when buying new equipment.

As far as supporting this site, buy a silver star from Woody. A link is at the top of the page.

This site is very widespread. Have a look around and see if you can use your talents to assist others. Other than vehicles, there is a Electronics Section, Tractor Section, Snow Mobile section, etc. It goes on and on.

Yea I was looking at the motorcycle and atv section earlier. I didn't see a link but in the store link I got the e-mail address of woody@ih8mud.com and asked him how to and that I wanted it to be in your name for your help. As soon as he replies it will be done, and thank you again I'm just glad I didn't dig into the carb.

ok thank you again. I found out how to buy the silver star and it is done. Just wanted you to know that I am great full. John

Loveing this site as i found the answer to the problem with my Stihl MS180 C. After cleaning the air filter, Fuel filter and check the spark plug i was getting a bit peed off so i come to web and found this site with what seemed to be very good answers and feedback to problems. I didn't have a small socket set to take the carb off and was about to go over and ask the neighbour if he had one. But before i did i went back to the shed to stear at the saw again and i thought what the hell i don't think it would be but i'll pull off the muffler and have a look. I have a ring - open ender spanner that fits so i started to take the muffler off it needed a little prying with a screwdriver to get it to move but when it got near the end of the studs the end plate came off and the spark arrester fell out. I took the muffler right off and then had a look at the arrester a small black piece of something!!! Didn't look like s*** all would get through that so i hit it with so air from the compressor and small holes started to appear. All that i got was about 8 or 10 tiny holes so i put it down and run back and forward over it with a flat head screwdriver then hit it with the air again and well if i didn't end up with this nice little steel mesh. I gave all i could a good blow off while the muffler was off then put it back together. Pulled the pullcord and bugger me if it doesn't go as good as new. So if your saw suddenly starts booging down and it happens pretty quick although it may start lossing an un-noticable small amount of power for a while i would start by checking the sparl arrester. Mine was going not to bad then it run out of fuel, i refueled it and with in a minute it lost half of it's power and didn't want to cut. Many thanks to all for the tips that lead to a very easy fix. Dave

Hate to reopen this topic, but just got a barely used MS 180 from my dad. Probably has 3-4 hours use, max. Bogs down, as most describe. Changed carb, fuel line, fuel filter, and spark plug. Spark screen clean. No piston scarring, front or back. Cleaned pumping port to carb. Still bogs. Ready to throw in the trash. Anybody got good ideas?

@NotXpurt

Does the throttle move the choke to the run position after you started it.

Air filter clean?

Check the new fuel line for holes especially if a cheaper hose was used. It could have a pin hole in it and starving motor of fuel and sucking air instead. Mine had a hole above the fuel tank and it leaked down the side of the tank. Run at a near empty tank vs a full tank to see if the hole is in the tank side. Or flip the saw upside down while holding properly.

Check the gap between the coil and flywheel with a feeler gauge.

Check the coil wire for damage.

Check the connector to the spark plug. It should click on the the plug.

Check the connector and ground on the coil.

Check all the wires for copper showing or kinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom