Stereo speakers sound bad when sharing ground (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At some point someone hacked up the stereo wiring in my 60 a bit, stereo that came in there was fried. Just replaced it with a new one studying the wiring diagram for these trucks and noticed that the speakers share the same ground but the sound really breaks up and sounds like crap when the ground is shared. If I only give the ground to one speaker or the other that one speaker sounds great and full yet I still get sound from the speaker not connected to ground, but its a good bit quieter than the one receiving ground. In the following photo you'll see two short yellow wires, that was actually a jumper wire from the first spot on the harness to the 3rd spot where the black ground wire was connected. I wasn't sure what was causing the nasty distotion/blown out sound until I finally cut the yellow jumper wire in half breaking the shared ground and it sounded much better, no more distortion.
IMG_5848.JPG

According to the FSM diagram the black and white wire should be the stereo ground but I had the stereo grounded elsewhere while I was troubleshooting. Since the diagrams show that these speakers are supposed to share the same ground it seems to me the yellow jumper wire should work fine but there must be a problem elsewhere I'm not thinking of. How is the speaker not receiving the black ground wire still producing sound? Any ideas?

I think I might have figured it out. Found out newer stereos don’t use the same kind “floating ground” the original radio did. I either need a floating ground adapter or to just run ground wires from the stereo to each speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom