Steering wheel wobble

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by FloridaCruiser22, Jul 12, 2018 at 8:48 AM.

1. FloridaCruiser22

FloridaCruiser22

So I have had my tires balanced, they did a terrible job, balanced at a different location and they did a good job but I still have a steering wheel wobble. Tires were also rotated but still same problem.

About a month ago I did wheel bearing repack and brake job, I really don't believe it's the wheel bearings as I have jacked up the front several times and there is no movement or clunk or anything yanking from the 12 and 6 position. I set the pre-load to 30 lb ft for the inner bearings.

I'm still on stock suspension and 1 front shock is completely worn out as it moves up and down continually when you push up and down on the front corner but would that really cause a steering wheel to wobble? U-joints are tight.

I'm not sure what else to check out. The main time the wobble happens is at around 45+ going through turns or turning the wheel slightly (keeping it within play but not turning), other than that the truck tracks perfectly straight.

Here is video of it, kinda hard to notice in it

2. BILT4ME

BILT4ME

Media:
    Albums:
    Warped brake rotors, loose wheel bearings, worn tie rod ends, worn trunnion bearings, worn drag link ends, worn out track bar bushings, uneven tire pressures, loose knuckle studs on steering arm, and loose or cracked frame at steering gear.

These are the primary causes of steering wheel wobble.

Start at the bottom and work through the list. Cheapest first, then the expensive stuff.

Dave 2000 likes this.
  3. dcguillory

dcguillory GOLD Star

I had a really bad wobble that took forever to track down. Ended being just being a loose nut on the panhard bar.

4. Golgo13

Golgo13 SILVER Star

Check the steering arm nuts and the steering damper. Check torque on everything, really.

Dave 2000 likes this.
  5. Blue Bomber

Blue Bomber

I always thought that warped rotors were sort of a myth....then i had one. Shook violently when braking down hill sometimes. Also was working the wheel bearing nut loose. Drives so much better now.

6. gofast

gofast

Crap shocks will give you wobble and I know this from experience. Poorly balanced tires will give you wobble but if you've rebalanced or had them road force balanced you will have eliminated that. Loose bearings can contribute so that's done.

I just replaced my panhard bushing and got rid of my current round of wobble.

I have had wobble from each of the scenarios I just mentioned

7. gofast

gofast

One other thought. Replacing the steering stabiliser will not address the cause of your wobble. It just prevents sudden changes in direction from road hazards and helps the steering wheel return to center

8. morganism

morganism

yeah, don't replace steering stabilizer, till you have found the real problem.

Was there a recall on the 80s steering rag joint? Do you have tilt steering wheel?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.