Steering wheel removal for hi/low switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, finally got my May of '72 piggie wheelin and squealin again, but the hi/low headlight switch is turning into the turd in the punchbowl. I don't want to destroy the center padded button on the wheel. Does it just pop off? Screw off? Any tips on how to remove the wheel to get at the turn signal switch without breaking anything? Do I even need to pull the wheel to clean those contacts? Not having any luck (surprise) finding a new one, so I'll see what I can do with this one first.

Three small/long bolts from back of wheel go thru to back of center button. Feel the back of wheel for the relief holes. Small Philips screwdriver.
Hard to feel where they are, it helps to use a mirror to get your bearings That removes the 4" round pad. The reason for the pad is to pound your head on when you feel the need. Then you remove the center nut. This is where you need to use the pad to pound your head on because you now need a 2 bolt puller. Mark the wheel and shaft so that you to make it easier to re-align the splines for assemble. a lot of time someone has done it before you. Now you have access to the turn signal switch. Sometime a repair it possible, roller wheel connection worn or bent roller arm. Or it might be time for the safety pad again. Might be less painful to replace the switch with new.

The earlier steering wheels did not have the safety pad style wheel center, consequently a lot of forehead damage occurred before Toyota added the safety pad.

Sweet, thanks a ton guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom