steering wheel and side view mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would do the samething but I have the CPO 3 year 100K warranty so I figure if it goes out they can fix it. If I keep it past the warranty I will have the dealer disable it at warranty expiration. :)

The only problem with this is if the motors are groaning but still operation, the CPO technically might not cover it since I believe it has to fail first. Depending on your dealer, they might give you a hard time and say it hasn't failed yet, etc. The word "failure" has a gray area. It says it's no longer doing what it's designed to do. But what is it designed to do? To simply move the wheel in/out or do move it in/out QUIETLY? So the risk you run is having a steering wheel motor that groans at 100K mi and thereafter. I would call lexus USA and ask if the CPO covers a noisy steering wheel motor.

well wouldnt a CPO cover a TSB?

Maybe. It covers component failure, like the starter, etc. It's possible that the steering adjustment motors might be under powertrain (for steering)...don't know for sure. My feeling is they would cover it if it was groaning badly and not retracting smoothly but if just groaning some and retracting fine, maybe not yet.

Is there a TSB for the '03 LX VGRS ECU? That was covered under the CPO (symptom is the steering wheel is 5-10 deg to the left when driving straight, alignment is correct as the car tracks straight when you let go of the wheel). Problem is the VGRS didn't initilize properly and will shut off at a certain speed. They replaced the ECU, saying it was updated since my early '03 model was built. ECU alone was $800...just hope the starter contacts and exhaust manifolds go before 100K or don't go at all! (and we know the odds of that happening are slim).

Maybe. It covers component failure, like the starter, etc. It's possible that the steering adjustment motors might be under powertrain (for steering)...don't know for sure. My feeling is they would cover it if it was groaning badly and not retracting smoothly but if just groaning some and retracting fine, maybe not yet.

Is there a TSB for the '03 LX VGRS ECU? That was covered under the CPO (symptom is the steering wheel is 5-10 deg to the left when driving straight, alignment is correct as the car tracks straight when you let go of the wheel). Problem is the VGRS didn't initilize properly and will shut off at a certain speed. They replaced the ECU, saying it was updated since my early '03 model was built. ECU alone was $800...just hope the starter contacts and exhaust manifolds go before 100K or don't go at all! (and we know the odds of that happening are slim).

Odds are in your favor for the starter and manifold to go bad before 100K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom