Steering rack replacement question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to replace my steering rack. Looks like a straight forward process. Question is there and online filter either in the resivior or somewhere else that I should replace. Second question on other rack I have replaced you just fill up the resivior with fresh fluid and cycle the the steering wheel back and forth but I am seeing on some videos they say power bleed the system. Will cycling the wheel back and forth be sufficient

I am about to replace my steering rack. Looks like a straight forward process. Question is there and online filter either in the resistor or somewhere else that I should replace. Second question on other rack I have replaced you just fill up the resistor with fresh fluid and cycle the the steering wheel back and forth but I am seeing on some videos they say power bleed the system. Will cycling the wheel back and forth be sufficient
Yes the back and forth method works great. especially when it's up on the jack stands and no resistance. Note you will have to lift the motor 1.5" to squeeze it out. Oh and remove the oil cooler connection at the filter.

Also clean the fluid reservoir and the screen inside it.

Yes the back and forth method works great. especially when it's up on the jack stands and no resistance. Note you will have to lift the motor 1.5" to squeeze it out. Oh and remove the oil cooler connection at the filter.

just jack up the engine or do you have to undo the motor mounts

Note you will have to lift the motor 1.5" to squeeze it out. Oh and remove the oil cooler connection at the filter.
Depends on the model year. I did not have to jack up the engine to get rack out on 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom