Steering rack advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, another steering rack thread.
By all indications, the rack itself is functioning fine, but the mount bushing has mucho play (145k miles on the truck). The shop can't get all the alignment specs just right because of it, and the on-road behavior is deteriorating to the point where I'm ready to do something about it. I have not ambition for a DIY at this stage, so I'll be paying a shop. Any recommendations on a course of action, considering the likely substantial labor involved:

1. Pay shop to replace the bushings with aftermarket poly (~$400 + cost of bushing)
2. Pay shop to replace the entire rack, keeping the new factory rubber ($2100 new OEM rack installed, $923 remanufactured rack installed)
3. Pay shop to replace the entire rack, also replacing the new factory rubber with aftermarket poly ??

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Not sure I can make any helpful recommendations, but I can tell you that I had a shop recently replace my rack because it was leaking badly. My LC is an '03 and the original rack only had 130K miles on it so I was a bit disappointed when I learned of its failure. I bought the rack from McGeorge Toyota online for $750 and had a local shop install it for $400. I didn't think the steering felt bad before, but the new rack was a night and day difference. Although not cheap, it was worth the investment.

If your rack is fine, how much is the shop going to charge to replace the bushings only?

Shop labor is ~$400 to replace the bushings on the existing rack.
My one call to a dealer for a new rack came back with $1742 for a new rack (!!!)

I just replaced the bushings on my 99 last weekend. Took about 3 hours, including the time I spent running to Lowes to pick up 5" an 6" lag bolts to compress the Whiteline poly bushings into the rack. It really is not that difficult of a job.

One thing I would recommend to have is a half inch ratchet that has a hinge right behind the head so you can angle into tight spaces. The job would have taken MUCH longer without it.

Gearwrench-120XP-Flex-Head-Ratchet.jpg

Shop labor is ~$400 to replace the bushings on the existing rack.
My one call to a dealer for a new rack came back with $1742 for a new rack (!!!)

My local dealer quoted $1100 for the new rack without outer tie rods and $1000 for install. $2100 plus tax, but they'd give me a "free" loaner for the day :bang:

I've decided to pay my dealer to replace the bushings in my existing rack with SuperPro poly bushings.
I will follow up once the work is done.

My local Lexus dealer installed the SuperPro bushings, with the total cost coming to ~$500.
It took them a full day to do it, and they described it as a pain in the a$$, mostly trying to get the sleeve out of the rack. They were happy with the result however, as am I. The wild tourque steer and slop are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom