Steering issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on a 1972 FJ40.The suspension is all and steering is all fairly new except the steering box. I noticed there is about 5 inches of play on either side of the steering wheel.The play appears to come directly from the gear box. When I turn the steering wheel almost all the way to the left I noticed the play is almost non existent....but if it return it to center and to the left the play increases. I noticed while turning the steering wheel it feels like it jumps a bit.From what I'm guessing if all the bearings appear to be is it pointing to a roller shaft?Thank yous

5 inches seems like a lot. I take it you have tried adjusting the box? If it has an adjustment screw. [a lock nut and center screw on top of the box for eg]

Last edited:
Have you got a FSM? It shows a diagram showing shims inside the box. Removing shims moves the sector shaft over the worm gear. This tightens up the steering. Before doing that I would have someone move the steering wheel back and forth in the free play on the wheel. Watch the pitman arm off the steering box to be sure the play isn't further down in the steering components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom