Steering gear options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I'm temporarily defecting from the FJ60/62 forum as the knowledge I seek cannot be found therein. I'm SOOOO close to buying an FJ80 front axle for my 60 because I need the width to match the rest of my junk... To make a long story short, I'm being held back by my lack of steering options. I cannot use the stock arms as my ride is SOA, and the angle and interference from the springs make it impossible. The top bearing cap is a two-bolt affair, not really strong enough for a steering arm even if there was such a thing available. Any ideas on how to solve this? Are there different knuckles available? Will 60 series fit? Any way to make this high-steer friendly? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Slee makes a hi-steer for the 80 axle but you will need to switch to the ABS type knuckles, the have a bung that can be tapped and used in conjunction with the two top bolts on the knuckle.

Slee makes a hi-steer for the 80 axle but you will need to switch to the ABS type knuckles, the have a bung that can be tapped and used in conjunction with the two top bolts on the knuckle.

I have seen that, I'm not in love with it. Pricey too. Might be the only thing out there...

I have seen that, I'm not in love with it. Pricey too. Might be the only thing out there...

An 80 front is a bit of an odd pairing with a 14 bolt - it may be the strongest half ton axle made, but it's still a half ton axle with an 8" R&P.

Personally, I'd be looking at a D60 if in fact you need the strength of that rear 14 for how you use your 60.

Lot's of people here chasing good money after bad in the 8" when a forklift upgrade is really the solution.

Semi float 14 bolt as used by GM was a heavy 1/2 light 3/4 ton axle.

Another option for a wider front would be a front Diamond housing that all of your existing parts (third, steering, knuckles, brakes etc.) except for inner axles would transfer over to and could be a cheaper option:
robin-front-001.jpg

Semi float 14 bolt as used by GM was a heavy 1/2 light 3/4 ton axle.

Another option for a wider front would be a front Diamond housing that all of your existing parts (third, steering, knuckles, brakes etc.) except for inner axles would transfer over to and could be a cheaper option:
robin-front-001.jpg

I think what I am going to have to do is lengthen my existing housing and buy custom inner shafts. Then I can keep my 4.56 gear set and my Longfields. It's probably my only real option at this point. I sure do appreciate the input, thanks guys!

Nope, if it did, we would not have made the arms. Unfortunately due to very low volume, they are expensive, but they do work, but in your case, not for leaf springs.

Thanks for that input. I think the only options are; A, Build a completely new axle from a D44 or D60 base which would just murder my credit card; B, Modify my existing axle (appears to be the front runner in the idea box) or; C, try to modify the knuckle of the 80 front to accept a typical 60 series or mini-truck arm. This idea does have some merit and some risk. I worry about the stress risers resulting from the amount of welding that would be required to accomplish the goal. On the other hand, it's the only thing I would have to fabricate, instead of the housing, new shafts, new tie rod, new drag link, new brake lines, etc. as I can get an 80 series axle complete with steering gear, rotors, calipers, the works.

Talk to Brian and Front range. Cut the balls of your 60 housing, send it to them. Have him make you a axle that is the right width, use all your 60 guts and available 60 hi-steer, and only need two new axle shafts, that he can supply as well.

Whatever you do, don't go the Dana 44 route. Dana 60 yes, but by the time you take a cheap junk yard Dana 60 and upgrade it to worthwhile parts, you are not going to be into it cheap.

Modifying a 80 axle to accept 60 knuckles is not a viable and not worth the time and effort.

Talk to Brian and Front range. Cut the balls of your 60 housing, send it to them. Have him make you a axle that is the right width, use all your 60 guts and available 60 hi-steer, and only need two new axle shafts, that he can supply as well.

Whatever you do, don't go the Dana 44 route. Dana 60 yes, but by the time you take a cheap junk yard Dana 60 and upgrade it to worthwhile parts, you are not going to be into it cheap.

Modifying a 80 axle to accept 60 knuckles is not a viable and not worth the time and effort.

I talked to Poly Performance, $350 will get me set of custom shafts made from that 4340 material or whatever it is, and I can do the rest. I think I will get a wrecking yard housing and go to work so my Cruiser isn't down the whole time I'm working on the housing. Then I will switch everything over. Dana is not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom