Steering Box Adjustment Screw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have a 92 FJ 80, is the adjustment screw on the top of the steering box, it's a left hand steer an the battery is on the opposite side of the engine compartment
Yeah, earlier 80s have the battery on the passenger side.

And it's 17mm, not 11/16.

I've been intending to make adjustments to the box for over a year now. Finally pulled the trigger last night and had the battery out, nut adjusted and everything back in under an hour - ended up turning the adjustment screw 180 degrees clockwise. Took it for a test drive and the difference was immediately noticeable. Good thread!

I’m going to be doing this adjustment this weekend if the weather is decent. I’ve got a ‘93. There is a ‘91 locally in a yard. Are the boxes interchangeable in between FJ’s and FZJ’s?

If you are or know someone who is a whiz bang on them, yes. With excessive wear it can often become a money pit, turd polishing.

Very possibly the best bet. Resealing them is relatively easy, so another option is, get a good used unit and reseal it?
I just reseal mine. Getting the bearings back in was a real chore. Now I've got a little noise when turning the wheel. Couldn't remember where my adjustment screw was when I removed

If so that is awesome but I have had a few different very reputable sources tell me otherwise. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this (Beno)? because I would really like to know if a 93 - 98 gear box will work to replace the one on my 91. I just checked partsouq and they show different part numbers for fj's vs fzj.

Last edited:
If so that is awesome but I have had a few different very reputable sources tell me otherwise. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this (Beno)? because I would really like to know if a 93 - 98 gear box will work to replace the one on my 91. I just checked partsouq and they show different part numbers for fj's vs fzj.
I recently obtained a '91 box, rebuilt it, and put it in my '94. Having seen a few of these boxes apart, including the one in my '94, the '91 looked identical inside and out. The splines at both ends, the bolt pattern, the fluid lines, everything lined up perfectly. If there's a difference, it doesn't matter. All US spec 80 series boxes are at least functionally interchangeable, and in my experience they are identical in every way. Maybe the part number changed at some point.

The part number is the same for all years according to the Toyota sites I’ve looked at.

Im tipping the only difference there would be, is maybe the ones that had the speed sensitive steering? I think saharas and jdm have a special steering box set up.
I guess it's possible, but I've only heard of speed sensitive steering on rack and pinion systems. Also seems awful fancy for a truck that was mostly utility everywhere but the US.

Dropping by thirteen years later- just wanted to say I love mud and my new, much improved steering response. After 325k miles there was a fair amount of slop in the wheel.

New box is on the list but one full turn of the adjustment screw after fighting to loosen the nut for about 10 minutes and it feels like a brand new rig.

Massive improvement for 20-30 minutes of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom