Starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well. I'm have problem turning my fj40 on. Well Haven't turn in on in awhile. But Last time driving it, Sometimes when I go to turn it on. Nothing happens. not even engine turning over. The battery is good. and when I went to turn it on. the key shock me one time :mad: , But I don't know what could be wrong, The starter. is pretty new from autozone. (Rebuilt). any idea, want to go offroad sunday. so I dont want to be stuck with a brocken rig

FJ40-77 2f

Thanks
Eric

Happens to my rig randomly too. I am running one of the gear reduction FJ60 starters. I fust smack it with the high lift jack handle a couple times and it fires right up. It isn't the only starter that I have had do this to me. The factory original did it, the replacement FJ60 style, and now this one. I just live with it now.

This happened to my 40 while on the trail started just fine drove it around a while, turned it off then nothing......check your battery cable, my ground cable was broke inside looked good on the outside, no corrision or any indication it was bad, replaced it and the one to the starter, check and clean ground cable, check and clean fuse box connections.
the "beat it with a hi lift handle" method only works if the starter is binding up against the flywheel due to bad teeth on the flywheel,starter or both or a bad starter.

Also check the ground wire that goes from the selenoid to the starter motor. It should be visible from the top of the starter. Mine was loose and there was some corrosion. I took the ground wire off and sanded both sides so that it had a good connection and haven't had another problem out of it.

Happy wrenching!

Doug_S said:
Also check the ground wire that goes from the selenoid to the starter motor. It should be visible from the top of the starter. Mine was loose and there was some corrosion. I took the ground wire off and sanded both sides so that it had a good connection and haven't had another problem out of it.

Happy wrenching!

Ya turn it on sat. went to drive it. NO problem NOW. then to day I had 2 know turn over. Ill check the starter cable tomorrow Thanks guys !

:beer:

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom