Starting issue. No crank, no click (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When running in park, the "brake" light, oil level light, and a/t oil temp lights are on since the starter swap and push button addition. Both these systems are fine. The oil light has been going on/off for a while before this but none else.

In gear, these extra dash lights go out and all is normal.

Coincidence? Wiring or ecm issue maybe? Does not having the starter pigtail connected affect the dash display?

Last edited:
Already tried jumping it. No change.

The wires to the NSS are intact.

The starter solenoid is nearly impossible to see. I can't locate the wire to the small stud. I can see the main power wire on top but that's about it. What's the best way to get to it?
Just to clarify, have you disconnected the grey NSS barrel plug located way up high driver's side engine block and inspected both inside (internal) ends for corrosion? Corrosion and internal connections cannot be visually inspected unless the plug halves are disconnected.

Unfortunately I've been down this road before including installing a new starter, Ford Solenoid mod, ignition switch, push button starter switch and ended up being corrosion in the NSS barrel plug.

Number 3. At least for me.
Couple thoughts:
1. Try jumping it for kicks. Sometimes I've seen that work. If that works then your battery or battery terminal connections are bad.
2. As others have said, solenoid on starter stuck. Try tapping on it while trying to start.
3. NSS grey barrel connector corroded. If all instrument panel shift indicator lights don't work properly and or Reverse lights out, then that is more than likely the culprit. FYI, the actual NSS is a very well designed/sealed unit and is very rarely the issue.
4. Another likely issue could be the trigger wire from ignition switch to starter solenoid is compromised. Could be broke, disconnected or degraded. Degradation of this wire is a know problem and I have resolved this by adding the Ford Solenoid mod to the starter circuit on all 80's I maintain.
Might be item #1 for me. My 1995 FJZ80 would only click and not start, but started with a portable jump starter. The battery had some white stuff coming out of it. My mechanic said the starter and battery work together, and suggested that I try a new battery before putting in a new starter. He did ask me if I ever changed the ignition switch, so maybe its item #4 if it still has trouble starting with the new battery. I'll keep you updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom