Starter constantly engaged, even when key’d off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGMachine

Working on cars I can't afford
Threads
Hey all, I’m in need of help. I’ve never seen a car do this before. I went out to start my car and initially when I turned the key, nothing would happen. I twisted it a couple times and then it started but something didn’t sound right and the A/T light, oil light, and brake light were on. So I turned it off but the starter was still cranking the engine! It won’t stop unless I disconnect the battery. Has anyone ever seen this happen? I have no idea what’s going on. Maybe a short? It was fine earlier today. Thanks for the help!

Stuck solinoid. Buy a kit from Amazon, remove starter, clean out the gunk and put in the new plunger and contacts. I seal the cover with a little rtv to keep out moisture but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else does this. I use a small amount of silicon to lubricate the plunger.

Correction! Don't use silicon paste; it gums up and causes sticking. I'm now using dry graphite lube. Too soon to know if this is the answer but I sure want to correct my previous post. P

Last edited:
^ Yep, contacts are welding/sticking to the solenoid plunger.

REPLACE contracts/solenoids ASAP. You risk damage to battery/wiring/starter if you don't fix this ASAP.

Here's my write up from a few years ago: Starter Motor Contacts

... and a swift wack on the starter/solenoid assy may release the stuck solenoid.

cheers,
george.

Yep agreed with above.
Mine did this recently. A sharp TAP on the solenoid with a hard object often shakes them loose.
Beware, if a tap shakes it loose it's a short term solution. Expect it to happen again in very short order

Don't run it with the starter stuck! The engine turns the starter much faster than it's rated for, the armature can come apart, causing a direct to battery short,,, FIRE!

ok so it sounds like it's the solenoid contacts. Judging by the fact that everyone is saying to rebuild it, they aren't readily available? This is my primary car at the moment so I really need to try to get it working tomorrow. Thanks for the replies all.

If its an OEM denso starter, keep it and rebuild. Pay the core and buy an autozone or whatever starter for now.

The contact kits are readily available, stealer or aftermarket. Or replace the starter, in that case the DENSO 2800169 is a great choice.

You can get an aftermarket one at O'Reilly's that will get you there quickly, but if the one you have has a TOYOTA or DENSO sticker on it, do NOT turn it in as a core. Keep it and rebuild it for some time in the future.

Some here will say it takes 30 minutes to change a starter. It took me 2-1/2 hours, so there's that. Easier if you remove the LF wheel. Use jack stands if you do.

Definitely do this sooner than later. A stuck solenoid can cause a fire. This happened recently to another 'Mud member and his truck was a total loss. Unhook your battery until then to PREVENT a fire until you can get it replaced.

O'Reilly is a remanufactured starter. Ultima P/N R712645A (2.0 or 2.2 kW)

Common occurrences. That is the primary reason I have a 10mm wrench in the driver door pocket. To disconnect the battery as quick as possible. Glad nothing serious such as a fire happened.

The cold weather ones are NLA.

Go with standard. Should be a 2.0 kW

If at O'Reillys, use the p/n I gave otherwise have them cross reference it.

The cold weather ones are NLA.

Go with standard. Should be a 2.0 kW

If at O'Reillys, use the p/n I gave otherwise have them cross reference it.
NLA? what's that mean?
I figured I'll play it safe and get both and just return the one that doesn't match. One of the guys said there's a length difference? I'll have them cross reference the number you gave while I'm there as well. Thanks for the info

Don't get the small one.

NLA=No Longer Available

Ol, got it all replaced. The one that came off was some reman unit that didn’t have any ID aside from “remanufactured” stamped on the side. Thanks for the help all! I would’ve been chasing that for ages!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom