Started missing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a round-trip about 30 miles I stopped at a store for 15 minutes and came out to start it and it was running roughly. Had a miss . The engine is a 1985 2F in a 1980 fj40. Now it’s puzzling because it ran super for the 30 miles. Ran smoothly. What would be the first thing I should look at. After driving 5 miles home I pulled spark plug wires to see if the title would change . It got rougher with each one being polled but I wasn’t able to isolate which one was making it miss if that was even the problem. The only thing I did earlier was to accidentally down shift to first from 4th. That made the tires squeak. I was wondering if the timing gears could somehow slip but that doesn’t seem too feasible .
Well needless to say I would appreciate any advice before I start tearing into this 2F motor

Check your spark plugs, I had a similiar issue and there was a hair line crack on one of the spark plugs.

A.J

Maybe some junk in the fuel tank got picked up... fuel sock, filter, etc.?

when i accidently shift from 5th gear to 1st gear in my 83 FJ43L-KC , my clutch-less Direct Drive

Plastic AISIN Fan will sound like and feel like Old The Space Shuttle taking off @ Cape Canaveral when i

was young .......

that being said , i have rattled stuff loose like the Electrical connectors in engine bay and more often

a OEM TOYOTA Vacuum Hose off a Fitting .

im talking Newer Young Fresh 3mm OEM Toyota standard Hoses wit No tension on them freely floating

as they may sorta thing ...........

i would look for a part or component simply Rattled loose or a fastener such as a nut or bolt too

before i would start " Tearing " into your Nice 1985 2F .............

look for obvious and simple fix and issue , its there in plain sight , you just may have not seen it yet ...

good luck , :)

when i accidently shift from 5th gear to 1st gear in my 83 FJ43L-KC , my clutch-less Direct Drive

Plastic AISIN Fan will sound like and feel like Old The Space Shuttle taking off @ Cape Canaveral when i

was young .......

that being said , i have rattled stuff loose like the Electrical connectors in engine bay and more often

a OEM TOYOTA Vacuum Hose off a Fitting .

im talking Newer Young Fresh 3mm OEM Toyota standard Hoses wit No tension on them freely floating

as they may sorta thing ...........

i would look for a part or component simply Rattled loose or a fastener such as a nut or bolt too

before i would start " Tearing " into your Nice 1985 2F .............

look for obvious and simple fix and issue , its there in plain sight , you just may have not seen it yet ...

good luck , :)
Thanks that’s good advice. I decided on new plugs, roter and cap. First ,( needs anyway), then if still missing I’ll look for loose parts. It’s just strange that it was running so good until I turned it off for 15 min.

Thanks that’s good advice. I decided on new plugs, roter and cap. First ,( needs anyway), then if still missing I’ll look for loose parts. It’s just strange that it was running so good until I turned it off for 15 min.

exactly , thats why it was a small but catastrophic minor event from down shifting vibration ..

maybe , based on my own personal experience .......... 🤔

exactly , thats why it was a small but catastrophic minor event from down shifting vibration ..

maybe , based on my own personal experience .......... 🤔
But it was running good for 15 miles of my 30 mile round trip after the down shift. So what ever would have happened took time . 15 miles worth of time.
I fix everything and eventually I’ll figure it out but this is a engine I’ve never worked on.

I’m ignorant on that engine. Would it drop in my 80 fj40 ?

IMO , a 1985 FJ60 2F is a IDEAL Choice for a Minor only / Issue's Free , Minor only / Modification free

plug and Play Install into a 1980 FJ40

it's not really a Conversion IMO , more Modern best of both worlds Update

this is my opinion based on my personal views , im sure others have additional input here too .....

my 83 FJ43L-KC has a NON-USA 60 Series 2F , approx. month is May , year is a 1986 if the SOR.com

chart is Correct ?

my cylinder head does not have air injection Ports , or a 2nd Threaded UNION sensor Port either , to

side of carb ........

but , i do have a OIL Cooler Option , witch puzzles me a bit ?

im sure like anything else , it was made form many Doner Vehicals 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom