St. Anthony's Sand dunes Trip 5/4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who's excited for the first drive of the season!! Who's going and when are you getting down there?

I've never actually done the sand dunes trip so I'm hoping that someone will jump on here and put out some real details. In the mean time, i'd love to know who is planning on going down early and spending the night on Friday.. or if anyone is planning on staying Saturday night as well

Making this so that we can have one spot to start coordinating and figure out who's going.

As many of you know the 406 cruisers trip to the St Anthony sand dunes is just over a week away. I myself have never been but have spent a decent amount of time on the sand in Moab and am super excited for this trip.

A few quick links to some useful information about the dunes
St. Anthony Sand Dunes | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
St Anthony Sand Dunes Idaho Information Rexburg Motorsports & GearHead Rexburg, ID (877) 745-3617

The address for the campground. Sand Hills Resort 865 Red Rd, St Anthony, ID 83445.

Some Safety Requirements and Other Need To Know Info
  • Everyone is required to have a flag that is at least 8 feet above the ground on their rig. These can be found for around 10 dollars locally. Most flags mount using a 1/2 inch bolt
  • A functioning CB of some sort, whether handheld or dash mount, is a necessity. They will be crucial in communicating with each other and coordinating so no one runs into each other or gets hurt.
  • Tie your stuff down! if you don't things will be flying around which is not only dangerous but just plain annoying. If you have a cargo box system, secure it and keep things in the drawers, if you don't backpacks or duffle bags work well for keeping things together and making them easier to tie down.
  • Ensure your cooling system is functioning well and doesn't have any issues. Driving up and down the dunes will put a lot of stress on the coiling system especially your transmission cooler for those with automatics.
  • Keep in mind we are a long ways from home and in an area where recoveries will not necessarily be easy, so bring your recovery gear and any spare parts you see fit.
  • And most importantly, have fun and be prepared to get sand in places you didn't know it could get!
Basic Sum of everyone's plans so far:

CB channel 4 and HAM 146.460 will be used for coms. I will be sure to leave my CB on and Johnny will have his HAM on so anyone rolling in later can reach us.

@JohnnyOshow22, @ttFJC @1jzhilux and myself will be convoying down Friday evening. meeting at Casey's Corner in 4 corners and leaving at 5 anyone else wanting to join let us know.

There will also be a group coming down Saturday morning but details for that have not been nailed down yet. I will update this once I know.

for directions just go to:

Sand Hills Resort
865 Red Rd, St Anthony, ID 83445

Turn off on the road to the RV park and just keep going pass. Im sure there will be someplace to camp just over the hill

406 cruisers pictures:

St Anthony Sand Dunes – Pictures

Blog posts from last time I went:

St. Anthony Sand Dunes – May 2017

Trail Report – St. Anthony Sand Dunes
thats the info from the last time i went.. pretty decent starting point

Last edited:
My plan is drive down on Friday after work. Leave 4 corners by 5 but its probably going to end up being closed to six. I could meet anyone who wants to drive down Friday. We will camp just up the road from the sand resort. Its not hard to meet up at the dunes, there's cell service ETC. and we all have hams now. Might stay Saturday night and drive back Sunday depending on conditions.

Yes, I can go play in the sand!

My plan is to depart from Mama Macs at 6:15am on sat because Mama Mac's does not open until 6:00 so I can make a quick order then depart. Fuel stop in St. Anthonys and meet at the dunes at 9:00. I do not have a ham at this time so phone # from some one from the Friday night group would be good to have. CB channel 4.

I will also be departing Saturday morning after grabbing some Mama Mac's for the road :)

ttFJC, where you the one taking the great photos last year?

I was one person taking photos. There was a couple other but I can take all the credit if you’d like hahah. I’ll be taking a ton this year as well. Hopefully we have bright blue sky’s like last time

A726BEE8-1A14-4E8A-8C2E-46EBA3DC4C14.jpeg

303DFA14-0E66-47C4-BE6E-60BB292AF6B8.jpeg

Cool, from the weather reports it looks like is is going to be 68 and mostly sunny. I hope we get the turnout that we did last year that was a good time. Is anyone taking the "R" (responsibility) of mapping out some new territory to add to the adventure this time?

It looks like only 5 trucks are going this year. No one really started an "official" thread either so its looking like it will be more low key. but smaller group means less waiting for newbies and we should be able to get farther into the back where the BIGGONES are. i have the GPS track from last year but i also totaly failed a couple of times when i was trying to follow the designated route hah

I took a couple of buddies a month later and ended up way in the back in some cool areas, some BIG bowls and tall hills. My Daughter and her boyfriend are coming in his Tacoma and I know 4gotalot is going for sure, so it should be a good time.

My plan is drive down on Friday after work. Leave 4 corners by 5 but its probably going to end up being closed to six. I could meet anyone who wants to drive down Friday. We will camp just up the road from the sand resort. Its not hard to meet up at the dunes, there's cell service ETC. and we all have hams now. Might stay Saturday night and drive back Sunday depending on conditions.

Aaron I am in for leaving with you on Friday night!! I need you to help me get my CB antenna tuned before we leave. I will need to go find something to hook the flag to too! Let me know, Tom

I’m told that Johnny is getting me the club flags tomorrow. Should just need a 5/8 hole somewhere if I remember correctly. I’m trying to tune @Rambo Penguin cbs also. To be honest, tuning it out at the dunes Friday night or Saturday morning might be best. Less interference out there

I think a more important conversation what are we gonna eat? I’m thinking I can make a big eggs and bacon breakfast scramble saturday morning. Been dying to try my new skottle out. And then I have a bunch of either elk or moose burger. We could do burgers for dinner late lunch on Saturday? You guys should bring the buns or tortillas tho because I’m not eating carbs still really :)

Ya, we can tune up the CB's at the dunes. For food, I will just be bringing my protein drinks and H20. But I will pay for the breakfast Saturday!!!! I think Saturday night I am going to go to that Mexican restaurant we went to the first time we went to the dunes. I will be ready to go with you on Friday, just text me when you are headed to four-courners!!!

Ya, we can tune up the CB's at the dunes. For food, I will just be bringing my protein drinks and H20. But I will pay for the breakfast Saturday!!!! I think Saturday night I am going to go to that Mexican restaurant we went to the first time we went to the dunes. I will be ready to go with you on Friday, just text me when you are headed to four-courners!!!
Oh I forgot about the Mexican place that sounds good. We’re planning on leaving 4corners at around six. I just gotta grab the pup and load up at five

You guys pretty much have it covered here so no need to create another Dunes trip thread!! You can call this the official thread if you like ;)

Looks like the two departures are Friday night between 5-6 and Saturday morning around 6 from Mama Mac's. Anyone planning to make their way down should plan on a 9am meet up at the resort.

The only big reminder I'd like to throw in is CB radios are needed as well as flags. Communication and visibility are extra important with it being the first fully open weekend, and nice weather forecasted, it could be busy! A close second is secure your gear! There's great opportunity for off angle and different movements than usual so stuff will want to move around.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it yet, but would be leaving later Friday night and camping just past the resort entrance up on the left.

For reference it'd be good to have a head count, so far I see:
@Rambo Penguin Friday night
@ttFJC Friday night
@4gotalot Saturday morning
@Boondocker_153 Saturday morning
@TommyGuns Friday night
@MontanaLax (tentative) Friday night

So please chime in if you're planning to come along!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom