Squirrels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last time I am at a camp site I saw ground squirrel jump up into the truck multiple times. There was nothing I could do, trying to scare it could make it go deeper inside the engine.
They jump up from the front control arm or thereabouts. Luckily it was brief and it didn't come back with nesting material or try it again the next day.

Is there any repellent that you find effective?

I wouldn't worry about rodents for short term parking like in a campground. Imagine all of the stuff that happens when you aren't sitting by the car watching?

I'm way more worried about ground squirrels getting into my food in camp than messing with my truck. :rofl: There was this one time at Dinosaur National Monument where I broke a spatula chasing the little forkers away, while I was trying to make dinner...

I'd recommend anything with a strong odor like Pine Sol / lemon oil, peppermint oil or something similar that doesn't evaporate so easily. Pour it onto a sponge and tuck it in the corner or just use a spray to coat wires & things.

They have a really keen sense of smell so anything that throws them a curveball will likely deter them. Same goes for rats chewing up your wiring.

For short term parking don't worry about it and NO, don't use a spatula. :p

What is the power draw on something like this?

Don't know but it's insignificant and I haven't noticed any functional difference in battery reserve.

Jack Russell

JACK-RUSSELL.jpg

I watched a chipmunk do this when I was in colorado. I fired up the remote start and he jumped down and took off.

I had a mice nest on the top of my engine bay recently, so I'm kind of interested in hearing what has worked for others.

I called an exterminator about rodents at campsites, in engine compartments, around campers etc... He recommended mint spray around but not on tents, around wheels and wheel wells, on sides of campers, NOT in engine compartments on potentially hot components.

I'll try it but I still plan on packing Victor snap traps.

I use this: Amazon product ASIN B09FYM14CT
61FzgMp-4xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm a Firefighter, and often have to leave my LX at the wildland station in Malibu for extended periods which is infested with ground squirrels, tree rats, mice, lizards, rattle snakes and other critters. We have tried electronic rodent deterrents, Irish Spring soap, dryer sheets, etc. No luck. This is the only thing that they seem not to like, although if a vehicle sits long enough I don't think this will deter them either.

Hope this helps you.

Hi all, I purchased a similar sonic repeller that much high pitch "ultrasonic" sound every few minutes, it charged up by USB (there is 3 rechargable AAA cell included). There are many of them so I don't know which is better.
I put it under the car and see how long it will last, it has been days and it is still making sound.
there is also hardwire option to 12V or use USB as a power source
This can work for me at camp. I can place in the engine bay or near the control arms at the camp site. Plus the peppermint and tomcat spray as needed.

Hi all, I purchased a similar sonic repeller that much high pitch "ultrasonic" sound every few minutes, it charged up by USB (there is 3 rechargable AAA cell included). There are many of them so I don't know which is better.
I put it under the car and see how long it will last, it has been days and it is still making sound.
there is also hardwire option to 12V or use USB as a power source
This can work for me at camp. I can place in the engine bay or near the control arms at the camp site. Plus the peppermint and tomcat spray as needed.
Your mileage may vary.
I wired up all of our vehicles with these, as well as some battery operated ones.
The guys were cleaning an engine that had a battery unit in the top box on some hoses. The device was still functioning. Mice had made a nest on it 😂.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom