Squeaking belt and ammeter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies if I'm posting this on the wrong forum as I'm brand new here. I've just purchased an Australian imported HJ45 in the United Kingdom, having always wanted an FJ40 but been unable to find one at a reasonable price that is also right hand drive. My HJ45 is great but the alternator belt squeaks until she's warm, so I'm going to have a look at changing her out or finding out if there's a pulley that is faulty (advice gratefully received!). Aside from that, I've noticed the ammeter on the dash flicks from nominal "zero" - i.e. the middle of the gauge - to +30 (30 Amps seems a lot but I assume thats right?). More accurately: if the belt is slipping (i.e. squeak audible) the ammeter shows +30A, but when the belt is not slipping (no audible squeak) the ammeter shows 0A. Can someone explain how, with the alternator working, the ammeter shows zero Amps? Also as my 10 year old son asked, when can the ammeter ever show - 30A (i.e. the other end of the range of the dial)?! Thanks a lot Ben

Well, my FJ40 is probably the same in this area. If I haven't started it in a while , the battery is not full charge, then when started the ammeter goes + and as the alternator is now spinning, it will stay that way. It does bounce a little the closer it gets to full charge. The ammeter can read negative when there is more things electrical being used than the charging circuit can handle. Also , faulty electrical components and/or poor battery can make it do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom