Split Rim Bead Seating Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have just got myself some 255/85r16 KM2s for my 60 series split rims.

I have mounted the tyres back onto the rims and have the ring seated properly, with the split opposite of the valve.

Just when I pump them up, the bead does not seem to seat where the valve is. The bead seats fine on the entire back side of the rim, and all around the front just not where the valve is, and you can see the tyre wall inside the little valve hole on the rim.

Do I just need to pump them up some more? I went to about 35psi.

I have mounted up two tyres so far and have the exact same problem on each. Plenty of talcum powder and soapy water used too.

Any ideas?

Can get pictures if I dont make sense,

Cheers

Ben

I have splits and have done all my work on them. Did you pound on the tire with a 5lb sledge at about 10lbs psi?

These are split ring, not split rims- much safer but I still use a logging chain in a figure 8 pattern when I fill them up.

I'm not quite sure what's happening. How about a pic of the problem? Also are you an aussi? You spell tire funny....

Ok so I put some dish soap around the tyre and pumped them up to 40psi with a faster compressor (from a petrol station), which leads me to believe that my problem stems from lack of lubrication. Three tyres seated properly front back now, but still having problem with one of them. Did not have time to fiddle any more as had to go to work, but on the weekend I am going to take it all completely apart and put back togethor with soap between ring and tyre / tire this time as before all I had was talcum powder inside the tyre. If I fail again I will get a pic

Yes im aussie haha

Make sure that the split ring is CLEAN where the bead will slip over/onto the ring. Often they get some surface rust etc. Sand paper, file, buffer wheel etc to clean it up nice and smooth.

I've never had issues seating the bead with 10 - 20 psi from an 'ok' 12V vehicle compressor. Rubber mallet etc can help while seating, beat the sidewall near the bead while putting in some pressure.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom