Sooooweeeet.Picked up my new Pig. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this '74 a week ago and made the journey to pick it up this past Fri./Sat.283 conversion,3 speed on the floor.
It's the first vehicle I've bought only seeing pics and,well,I was hoping for the best.The PO assured me it would make the 600 mile return trip with no problem - and the heater worked.:D
I flew into Boise Friday morning.This Pig needs some lovin.The PO loaded me up with lots of spare parts and a box of manuals and cruiser literature<great.Did the paperwork,checked fluids etc.,and hit the road at about 12:30 PM.
Well this Pig has earned my undying respect!Stopping only for gas and snacks we drove for about 7 hours at 65-70 MPH without a single problem.(Of course I had driven it around Boise a bit to see how it handled before we left.)Has a radio but couldn't hear it.:D
Most of the day was excellent weatherwise-just a couple of short showers.Saw some snow at higher elevations but the roads were clear.
Had to spend the night in Ellensburg,Wa. bout 100 or so miles from Seattle where we had parked our car at the airport.The hotel clerk said that there was a snowfall warning over night and that the upcoming Snoqualmie Pass may be impassable.Oh well,I needed sleep.
Woke up to snow on the ground.:eek: Made the decision to give it a shot and stop if it looked too ugly.
Well it was ugly but the Pig went over the top like it was born to.We passed several vehicles stuck in the snowbacks,and one rollover.Not sure if they closed the pass after...
The rest of the trip was uneventfull but I don't think that many other 33 year old unrestored vehicles could have made the same trip-unless it was another cruiser!
Didn't mean to be so long winded.Heres some pics of the trip.Will start a resto thread in the future-this Pig deserves it.
P.jpg
P2.jpg
P3.jpg

More pics.

More pics.
P4.jpg
P5.jpg
P6.jpg

Thanks.
For now my plans are to leave it stock looking.I like the power of the V8 so I'll leave that.Rust will be the first thing I tackle as soon as I get the chance.

"For now my plans are to leave it stock looking"

And another stockish PIGGIE. No plans for body mods/ bumpers/ rack, etc.?
Heck, at least you saved it & it's on the road. That's more than I can say right now.... Polish up on those welding skillz & get busy.........

i was looking pretty close at that 55 too, im happy to hear it ran so good and i hope i have the same luck with the 55 i decided to go with (the one Proffitts was selling) keep us posted. :grinpimp:

Mike

"For now my plans are to leave it stock looking"

That is my intention for now but who knows how long that will last.There are some pretty sweet modified Pigs out there.

As I said,this Pig earned it's right to be saved on the ride home.

:cheers:

Good luck getting your 55 Ribz.The search is just part of the adventure.:D

Nice pig there oldfj40!

Ours must be almost twins... I also just picked up a '74 with a 283, though I have 4-on-the-floor instead of the 3-spd.
You give me hope. I haven't gotten mine running yet, but it's nice to hear that it's a good combination.

One quick question, though, do you recall how many MPG you got? Oh... I see that you're in BC, so I guess that would be MPL? :)

Pygmalion,

The only part of the odometer that worked was the 1/10th mile reel spinning around so I wasn't able to get a true MPG.The PO figured about 15 MPG and based on miles travelled and fuel used that would be pretty accurate.
My FJ40 with the 2F is about the same but I am real happy I had the V8 to get me home with some speed.
Good luck with your 55.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping... somewhere around 13-15.
I have a higher-torque cam in mine, though, so that could make a difference as well.

I just realized that I also typed MPL rather than KPL...
Well, just multiply by 1,000. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom