Softer ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am a little late on this but I just installed the Dobinsons leaf springson my 79 fj40. I wanted a softer ride as well and I liked the fact that these only advertised a slight lift.

They are almost identical to the stock springs in appearance. And once I installed them the lift was less than an inch (which is less than advertised) Also they used the stock shackles and bushings which saves some $$s as well.

The ride is pretty smooth and soft to me but I had some 40 year old oems that had an inside down u shape to them on before so everything would probably feel softer.

These are on eBay for a pretty reasonable price and delivery was free.

View attachment 2569724
I need to replace springs as well, this looks like a good option for minimal lift. Are there any low friction pads at the leaf ends as Dobinsons describe on their website? Also which shock absorbers did you with the new springs?

I don't remember seeing them. But I didn't look too close. My 40 is at the shop today or I would go get a few pics.

I did remember on the Dobinsons site they have some detail about this. Check this out and see if it is what you are looking for.

• Design features include Drawn, tapered and thinned leaf ends
  • Anti-Friction inter leaf liners are use to reduce the friction at each leaf end where the load is creates and provides a smoother, quieter ride.

• Design features include Drawn, tapered and thinned leaf ends
  • Anti-Friction inter leaf liners are use to reduce the friction at each leaf end where the load is creates and provides a smoother, quieter ride.
I don't remember seeing them. But I didn't look too close. My 40 is at the shop today or I would go get a few pics.

I did remember on the Dobinsons site they have some detail about this. Check this out and see if it is what you are looking for.

I see AMF still have the springs with free shipping, I am going to get a set. Any advise on the shock absorbers you used with the new springs?

I just bought the Bilsteins and put them on. But to be honest the cheapy KYBs were pretty good for grocery getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom