Snorkel options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m not a diesel kinda guy... I don’t know what’s what, with diesel.

I used THIS on my 1978 LHD FJ40 and have been very happy with it.

I could be wrong (it’s happened before), but it seems like any LH snorkel would work fine on the outside.

The flex hose, that connects to the snorkel, where it breaches the apron, under the hood, is plenty long enough to reach just about anywhere, under the hood.

You may need some sort of adapter to connect the flex hose to wherever it would mount on a diesel.

Are you going to run the ram, on top the snorkel... or run a precleaner?

After quickly fouling an air cleaner filter element, with insects, I was going to mount a precleaner on top. But, after trying pantyhose legs down the snorkel tube, I found I could run the ram and nit waste filter elements.

174651C1-F939-4296-98E1-78BFDAA8D66F.jpeg
491EACE5-2F19-4AD4-A2BC-93984470FD5E.jpeg
741F8E52-D510-4A39-9983-B532EC5BFC65.jpeg
24B2BD91-8681-442D-9C4F-A98C5F921228.jpeg
90018E35-FDFA-4041-94AE-26175E955A8F.jpeg

Curious with the flex hose... can it be trimmed to lose the bend? I understand that it’s long to accept different applications most likely but if you have the setup complete can you trim and still have it work? I ask because with so many bends in the system anyway may be a detremental to the proper air induction and etc creating maybe a bit too much lag time and turbulence and not a smooth transition of flow and or not enough and such..

for instance Add too many elbows and bends, and you’ll also
add restriction, perhaps in significant amounts. TMC says that an easy 45-degree bend will add a half inch of restriction, while a smooth-radius 90-degree elbow adds one inch. But create a sharp 90-degree bend and your restriction gauge will show an increase of two and a half inches.

So the system itself in the image has the air pickup at top and that sharp bend into the tube, and a bend at the bottom elbow and then a bend into the engine bay and then a big u-turn bend to the air cleaner housing. But that can’t be helped, those bends I assume are already engineered into the system parameters of the kit and it’s application. So my idea was if the image in the picture is completed system... could you trim the hose and rid yourself of a really big bend?

If you look closely, the flex hose has “collars” on each end, to better accommodate the clamps.

You could trim it and make it work... but, you can also push it together (like an accordion), to “shorten” it.

I’ve not had any trouble with it.

Others have made up their own airbox and hose, for the under-the-hood portion.

god I certainly know about the whole “making my own” set up. .image is my older image

I have what’s called a Home Depot ghetto setup with a k&n precleaner to the 3”dia. PVC piping I do have the one elbow through the side apron and then just a dryer heater hose accordion style to an air box. It is ghetto but I’m not sure if I’m bringing in the right CFM’s because of the bends. I do get a bit of lag but not much. I bought a diaphragm restrictor gauge from a yard off a caddy to see how much flow I lose after heavy use of the precleaner

A44BE51A-6004-4D48-8457-CDF2F3F22FA8.jpeg

E8394A4A-DB65-4481-BFB8-48298B32D9A3.jpeg

Last edited:
god I certainly know about the whole “making my own” set up. .image is my older image

I have what’s called a Home Depot ghetto setup with a k&n precleaner to the 3”dia. PVC piping I do have the one elbow through the side apron and then just a dryer heater hose accordion style to an air box. It is ghetto but I’m not sure if I’m bringing in the right CFC cause of the bends I do get a bit of lag but not much. I bought a diaphragm restrictor gauge from a yard off a caddy to see how much flow I lose after heavy use of the precleaner

View attachment 1714828

View attachment 1714829
Love the bottle opener on the air-con flaps

I like that bottle opener .. well I should say thought it’s been used way more by my friends than by me

I don’t have really many ideas to incorporate to this Fj40 except the water bag on the front bumper that’s currently in the closet

It’s not crucial to mount the snorkel on the same side as the air box, is it?

I could be wrong (it’s happened before), but it seems like any LH snorkel would work fine on the outside.

The flex hose, that connects to the snorkel, where it breaches the apron, under the hood, is plenty long enough to reach just about anywhere, under the hood.

You may need some sort of adapter to connect the flex hose to wherever it would mount on a diesel.

After quickly fouling an air cleaner filter element, with insects, I was going to mount a precleaner on top. But, after trying pantyhose legs down the snorkel tube, I found I could run the ram and nit waste filter elements.

View attachment 1714713 View attachment 1714727 View attachment 1714728 View attachment 1714729 View attachment 1714730
That’s really nice, I’d think it should work for a diesel. Hoping for the ram up top. Love the teq grill from yodateq hoping to get that.

GRILLS

Your diesel will require you to route along the rad to the air filter canister which will use all the hose length it is a good practice to use the factory air cleaner you will have to fab it to accept the air intake do not plump direct to you venturi....bad practice.

View attachment 1714713 View attachment 1714727 View attachment 1714728 View attachment 1714729 View attachment 1714730
Thanks for the info. Would you mind measuring the ram air and giving me the dimensions? I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom