Sniper install prep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adarcy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I'm working towards installing a Sniper kit that's been sitting under my workbench for 6+ months. Two things working against me before doing the install is a non vented gas tank and no fuel return line (currently running a weber 38/38).

What's the best way to vent this gas tank? It's got one port on driver's side which is currently my main fuel supply line, two ports that are connected to each other with a hose in the rear left, one port that is currently capped with a bolt in a hose in the rear right, and the main fuel fill neck.

The hard line is still present that comes through the floor that runs to the charcoal canister, which I also have.

I have acquired one of the fuel vapor separators, but if I hook it up to all the ports I won't have a port left over for fuel return....

Thoughts? A few poor pictures attached. Ignore the sand in the corner from the kids....

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4811.jpeg

I drilled a small hole in an OEM fuel cap. '75 FJ40, forever with a carburetor. For my tank, there are three evaporator lines all connected to one manifold, then to a check valve, then the canister, one fill neck back pressure loop (stops the fuel at the pump when full, or so I understand), and a to pump, and return line. My check valve, apparently, causes it to pressure, so hence the hole.

The problem with the original configuration is that it is old and original. The problem with an aftermarket set-up is you get five Ih8mud engineers with five different solutions to the problem. To me, what is hard to find is a new fuel/vapor separator, I could find a set-up for the rest of the system, and there is a barbed fitting (also the PCV purge) on the OE 2F intake to take the vapors.

My OEM air cleaner assembly works like a gas refinery, collecting vapors and making a dino and ethanol blend that collects on the air cleaner itself, rotting the rubber seal. Every bit of the system is messy. And, although new charcoal could store a small volume of vapors, you have to ask if it is worth it, and if you want to draw fresh (humid) air into the tank, if you are also purging vapors from the canister.

That is a vented tank. Those hoses used to go to a "vent" probably through a carbon canister, or as in some years into the passenger seat back rest. Put a new line on it and use it (preferably through a canister (which take ZERO power away from an engine, by the way).

Thanks

What about adding a fuel return line back into the mix? Should I just run a new hose and add a Tee fitting to the fill breather hose (red hose in my picture)?

I ran my return line into one of the vents coming out of the tank. I had a vented cap but had a problem with fuel splashing out, so I sealed the cap, and instead ran one of the tank vents up into a catch can, and then out the bottom of the cruiser. Works well. And just one of the ways to do it.

Are you running the fuel vapor separator? I'm thinking about running the return line to an existing port (#4 in the above photo) and then putting a check valve on a hose connected to #6 which will make its way to the charcoal canister.

Reasonable plan or am I asking for tank pressure build up?

I'm removing my bench seats and plan on running some mastercraft of corbeau seats so I don't have the option of the factory behind the seat vapor separator. My 40 was built late in 1971 and does not have the option to mount the separator on the body by the filler either.

Is there a better way that includes using the vapor separator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom