1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping in Your FJ Cruiser?

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by PolarBear, Nov 27, 2017.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear

Hi, Guys/Gals,

I recently retired, and after I get some things squared away, I have been contemplating a fairly ambitious, months-long circumnavigation around the North American continent -- including Alaska -- in my FJ (a red 2012 Trail Teams). I would probably mount a luggage pod of some kind on the roof rack and put most of my camping equipment up there, in order to leave more open room in the FJ's cabin. Although my intention would be to camp most nights, with perhaps a once-a-week luxurious respite in a motel/hotel (with shower, laundry, etc.), I can envision occasions when it might be necessary to sleep inside the FJ (miserable driving rain/snow/sleet; or signs of grizzly bears up north). Besides the option of sleeping in the reclined front seats, have any of you ever folded down the back seats, moved the front passenger seat all the way forward, and been able to squeeze in some kind of little cot, etc.?

2. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    No personal experience, but I have seen others build a dedicated platform inside the truck for a sleeping surface. To get the length you may need a panel that flips open once the pass seat was advanced forward. Others have tried pushing both seats forward and placing head between the seat uprights. Depends on how tall you are and how much wiggle room you need.

3. firensteel

firensteel

I would think from the pics that roof-top tents like ARB's would seem the most comfortable. Probably offering the most room.
    On a personal note, I have not camped in 35 years. I would drive 200 miles for a hotel :)

4. PolarBear

PolarBear

Of course I would take along a nice roomy tent and all other necessary camping gear; sometimes it seems I've spent half my life camping. Please re-read my post more carefully; your response is irrelevant.

5. Firemedic831

Firemedic831

Maybe you could go out and see if it works while in your driveway . Most likely what I would do . Please post pics of your trip as I am planning on doing the Alaska drive next year myself .

6. firensteel

firensteel

///your response is irrelevant.// You dont like roof top tents? or you dont like me?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  7. bigredmachine

bigredmachine

your probably going to want to build a sleeping platform, thatll give you a nice flat surface to sleep on. depending on how much room you will need you may want to take the passenger seat out.

PolarBear likes this.
  8. Hubbub

Hubbub

PolarBear likes this.
  9. Estancio

Estancio

I tried and found it IMPOSSIBLE to sleep in the rear of my FJ with the front seats pushed all the way forward. And I am only 5'-6" tall. How anyone can do it is beyond me.

PolarBear likes this.
  10. gcorduan

gcorduan

Hello,

New to the fj cruiser side of the forum. Recently bought a 08. Enjoy sleeping in the vehicle instead of a tent. Built a set up that was able to clear 6'4" inches of space. Drawe system in the back, storage box in place of back seat and plank that flips up for the last part once the seats are all the way forward. I was able to modify front seats to get them to fold forward further. Picked up about 4 extra inches. It fits a queen size air mattress. Heading out to the desert this weekend to see how it sleeps

53203651546__7E553631-E047-421B-BCCA-D7261535E251.JPG

53404497909__A8A2E0AB-5445-4EF3-99B7-139F8044A7BF.JPG

53455802555__75A13DCD-1DC7-4B52-9D34-B24DE19F148C.JPG

53455520063__C7277B42-1840-436F-84E1-F08781F368DA.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

11. gcorduan

gcorduan

Photo of drivers seat at factory forward. Passenger seat after modification. Just took the plastic covers of and cut a half inch section out of forward seat stop.

IMG_2506.JPG

hoser and PolarBear like this.
  12. PolarBear

PolarBear

VERY well done, my friend -- my compliments.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">