Sky Island Adventures in the Chiricahua Mountains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stepmurr

Lookin' fer the end of that old white line
SILVER Star
Threads
I spent last weekend exploring southeastern Arizona.

First trail was #S18 in the Massey & Wilson book. Mule Mountain trail is listed as a "2", but it should be a 0. The short graded dirt road leads up to the comm towers above Bisbee. At the top of the mountain there is an even shorter road shown on the map in the book as "Campsite". This at least had a three foot tall rock ledge to climb so I actually put the Taco into 4wd.

The views from the mountain are spectacular and is worth the drive if you are in the area.

Looking down into Bisbee
IMG_7010-small.jpg

The only 4wd portion - a three foot tall ledge
IMG_7037-small.jpg

Campsite with (I think) Douglas in the background
IMG_7095-small.jpg

The pit at Bisbee - I hope the EPA never gets put in charge of the liquid at the bottom:eek:
IMG_7134-small.jpg

Next day I started on trail #S19 from the book. Tex Canyon trail is rated correctly as a "1", but the side roads off FR74 are verrrry interesting!

The East side of Tex Canyon road (FR 74) starts out in barren grasslands but watch out fer dem "LOOSE CATTLE" ;)
IMG_7191-small.jpg

Great signage
IMG_7217-small.jpg

Go in armed & dangerous! :steer:
IMG_7223-small.jpg

This sign is quite misleading - FR 719 goes less than two miles and ends at the Wilderness boundary
IMG_7228-small.jpg

This was a great 4wd trail even if it was very short
IMG_7239-small.jpg

Next side trip was up FR 74A to Rucker camp.

More great signage
IMG_7273-small.jpg
IMG_7274-small.jpg

There was a dam constructed of three Jersey barriers - one washed away
IMG_7276-small.jpg

Great views
IMG_7286-small.jpg

Small display of rust at Rucker camp
IMG_7302-small.jpg

FR 628 was a great 4wd trail.

Many creek crossings and fallen trees
IMG_7330-small.jpg

This tree looked to be a show-stopper. There was a major fire in 1994 but there are still many dead & dying trees that are still standing - this one wasn't! :bang:
IMG_7332-small.jpg

I knew I couldn't get over or around this tree, but I had time on my hands and a winch handy, so I attempted to do a little log pullin'
IMG_7336-small.jpg
IMG_7337-small.jpg
IMG_7339-small.jpg

IMG_7340-small.jpg

Trail cleared! :bounce:
IMG_7341-small.jpg

More Crick crossins
IMG_7345-small.jpg

Trail ends at Wilderness boundary (again)
IMG_7354-small.jpg

Campsite for the night
IMG_7368-small.jpg

So much rain allowed weeds & grass to grow taller than my hood and totally obscured some of the trail
IMG_7378-small.jpg
IMG_7379-small.jpg

Road still clear the next morning!

IMG_7382-small.jpg

The trail to the left (FR 4242) was short and uneventful - the trail to the right (FR 4248 to FR 718) was great!
IMG_7386-small.jpg

The view was great - very tranquil
IMG_7390-small.jpg

As I climbed this rise I couldn't see over the hood so I stopped and checked due to the many washouts I had encountered in this area. I never expected that I was on a cliff! This doesn't seem to be a road that will be open for very much longer with this much erosion.
IMG_7400-small.jpg

Just past the cliff I found I would have to make a pond crossing to continue on the trail. I have crossed many streams and a few rivers but never a pond!
IMG_7402-small.jpg

The trail quickly deteriorated after the pond. It was so overgrown and washed out I had to stop and look for the trail a few times, and at one point was convinced I had driven down the wrong wash, but eventually made it down to FR 74 again.

Great trail!

A bee & beetle fighting over a juicy flower
IMG_7426-small.jpg

FR 74 is a nice easy road that any passenger car can travel. The 4wd fun is on all the side roads. This is the western end of FR74 back down in the grasslands.
IMG_7457-small.jpg

Next day I started on trail #S19 from the book. Tex Canyon trail is rated correctly as a "1", but the side roads off FR74 are verrrry interesting!

The East side of Tex Canyon road (FR 74) starts out in barren grasslands but watch out fer dem "LOOSE CATTLE" ;)
View attachment 1122468

Great signage
View attachment 1122469

Go in armed & dangerous! :steer:
View attachment 1122470

This sign is quite misleading - FR 719 goes less than two miles and ends at the Wilderness boundary
View attachment 1122471

This was a great 4wd trail even if it was very short
View attachment 1122472

So how loose were the cows?

I saw this neat Benz at one of the parking spots - Foreign plates & all:
IMG_7658-small.jpg
IMG_7614-small.jpg
IMG_7613-small.jpg

I had attempted to go on Massey & Wilson's trail #S22 Pine Canyon, but my Garmin told me the start of the trail was at this ranch. I thought the GPS was wrong so I continued on to #S20, Pine Canyon trail. Later I re-read the book and found that Oak Ranch might have let me through.
IMG_7497-small.jpg

Who brought the chainsaw eh?
No saw needed - note in the first picture the log was cracked. The first pull was at a right angle to the crack & the tree parted!

No saw needed - note in the first picture the log was cracked. The first pull was at a right angle to the crack & the tree parted!

You had to be there. One of the Moab trips, we encountered a downed tree. The Canadians expected that the guys from Arizona would have a chainsaw as standard equipment. When asked why they didn't bring one, they said "we were headed to the desert, we didn't think we'd need it.":doh::slap:

Pinery Canyon was another smooth road rated a "1", but it led to trail #S21 Hands Pass trail which the book rated a "6".

Hands Pass is FR 356 and the Coronado Forest Service MVUM shows the road as open. Unfortunately "Marcus" from Sky Island Retreat closed the road. Next time I'm in the area I'll try the trail from the Eastern end.

Thanks a lot Marcus!
IMG_7723-small.jpg
IMG_7724-small.jpg
IMG_7726-small.jpg
IMG_7725-small.jpg
IMG_7727-small.jpg

Next trail attempted was FR 4262 to Silver Prince Mine.

I got a little ways in and hit a six foot deep washout. There was a bypass (kinda) but it was so steep and close to the thirty foot dropoff into the crick that I chickened out. Maybe another time with company.

IMG_7736-small.jpg
IMG_7739-small.jpg

Another interesting pond with a weird algae bloom (or mining waste)
IMG_7761-small.jpg

Next trail was by far the hardest of the weekend - FR 709. Also short but very washed out and overgrown.

Final campsite near the end of FR 709 - ready for the evening's rainstorm!
IMG_7775-small.jpg

Always leave a clean campsite
IMG_7790-small.jpg

Lockers mandatory on this trail! :eek: I actually had two wheels airborne but the truck shifted when I got out for poser pics.
IMG_7797-small.jpg

Hey! This tree wasn't here last night!

Glad it didn't fall on me.
IMG_7798-small.jpg

Final stop at Fort Bowie
IMG_7913-small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom