1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Stage and Base/Clear on same vehicle

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by NellieFJ40, Jun 16, 2017.

1. NellieFJ40

NellieFJ40

Hello everyone,

The shop who is working on my 77 fj40 is suggesting I do a base/clear out the outside but single stage on interior. Has anyone done this or heard of doing it? Thoughts/concerns?

Also, even though the look will be different from original I am thinking about doing base/clear on the outside thinking it may be more durable or hold up better than a single stage paint. Is that accurate? Or does the base clear really only get you a more vibrant/shiny finish?

Thanks so much!

2. NellieFJ40

NellieFJ40

Also, the shop is planning to use axalta paints which I understand is what the Dupont paints are now called. The single stage paint is Nason Ful-thane. Cant remember what line he suggested for base/clear.

3. S4Cruiser

S4Cruiser

I used the nason ful-thane on my build and it turned out great, just be aware this is their economy / intro line. Nothing wrong with that, as long as your guy isn't charging you for a premium paint.

Assume you are going with a non metallic color? Most shops won't shoot metallic in a single stage.

4. NellieFJ40

NellieFJ40

Jon,

Awesome info, thanks. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that it's the low end paint. They haven't sold it as great paint but said it was good. They are suggesting the ful-thane on the outside with clear. Just ful-thane on the inside with no clear.

What would ful-thane cost a gallon? What would the axalta better paint be called and cost? Im6having a hard time figuring it out online.

Thanks so much!

5. S4Cruiser

S4Cruiser

I purchased a gallon of ful thane in Audi Nardo Grey and it was around 275 ish including reducer and activator. It's not cheap paint but it is axalta's intro line.

6. NellieFJ40

NellieFJ40

Thanks Jon. The shop is now saying that they could use the nason full thane or axalta chroma 1 premier single stage.