Single DRL Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntk

Threads
I'm having an issue with my day time running lights. The driver side works as usual, but the passenger side will not come on. My low beams and my high beams work as usual on both sides, but when the headlights are off or on auto mode (when the DRLs would be on), only the driver side lights up. I may be completely missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any thoughts?

Have you tried switching the bulbs around?
I have not. I recently did the land cruiser grilles 7" round headlight conversion, so I have those in there now. The problem existed before I put the new headlights in though, and has persisted with the new ones.

There doesn't seem to be a change in brightness. Just the passenger side high beam turns on too

Bingo! It looks like one of the contacts in your DRL relay is stuck shut. See the diagram below.

The main DRL relay is next to the airbox on the passenger side. There are two connectors and if you test between pins 1&2 of the D3 connector (the 4-pin one, test at the relay, not the wire harness) you’ll likely find those two pins are connected. They should not be connected when unpowered.

This fault is causing 12v to pass through the drivers DRL (high beam) bulb to ground instead of passing through both the driver and passenger DRL bulbs to ground. That way they both get 6v and glow at half brightness.

C978232A-8B7A-401E-AED1-DEF3B7265D88.jpeg

6F3D801D-F0F3-4CC6-8D19-63D02FC921C3.jpeg

C912EFBD-5D28-4E18-B767-02791F40C563.jpeg

Got it. That makes total sense! I'll need to check and confirm this later, but is the fix simply a new relay?

Got it. That makes total sense! I'll need to check and confirm this later, but is the fix simply a new relay?
A new relay should fix it unless those same two wires are shorted somewhere in the harness. That’s unlikely, and testing the relay will confirm the stuck contacts.

New relay is about $100:

New relay did not fix the problem in this case... I guess the next step will be looking for possible shorts. Anything else to check?

They're LED JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J lights. The problem was there before I installed these when I had the oem headlights though.

IMG_20200703_055429.jpg

do you get voltage on the high beam connector that doesn't light up when the other side does?
probe the non lighted connector and see, then move the black probe to a body ground, note any change.
oddly though, the drivers side daytime running light wouldn't light unless the passenger side ground through the high beam connector was intact.

the immediate off the cuff answer is that LEDs won't work in series on the LC or LX.
but if yours didn't work with halogen bulbs then there is something else going on.

Ayune explains better than I do, and he's quicker, and educated! lol
your truck looks great btw. You're not the only person that's had this issue and posted about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom