Side View Mirror Spring Compression Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My current mirror had the tabs on the inner skeleton (Not the Motor) Shaved/Taken off in an attempt to fix the wobble (Not me) and as a result, the mirror will still have a light wobble with all the new solutions available.

I recently purchased a new OEM, White, Side View Mirror without its Mirror/Motor (It was taken out by person who purchased new before me) and wanted to see if there is a special tool to compress the spring to remove it from it's base so I can transfer it onto the one on my Desert Dune base. The Mirror housing is removable, so I am able to swap that out, but would like to see if there is a way to compress the inner spring to remove and swap before I go with having the the white one repainted to Desert Dune.

No tool that I'm aware of, tho maybe something could be adapted?
I used the small 3" zip ties arranged in a manner to allow compression but not get in the way of reinserting the keeper on the top of the spring. Used about 6 of them IIRC.
Then cut the zip ties and pulled them out of the spring.
It is a PITA for sure.

My current mirror had the tabs on the inner skeleton (Not the Motor) Shaved/Taken off in an attempt to fix the wobble (Not me) and as a result, the mirror will still have a light wobble with all the new solutions available.

I recently purchased a new OEM, White, Side View Mirror without its Mirror/Motor (It was taken out by person who purchased new before me) and wanted to see if there is a special tool to compress the spring to remove it from it's base so I can transfer it onto the one on my Desert Dune base. The Mirror housing is removable, so I am able to swap that out, but would like to see if there is a way to compress the inner spring to remove and swap before I go with having the the white one repainted to Desert Dune.
Are you referring to FMS or SMS?
Floppy Mirror Syndrome
Shaky Mirror Syndrome

Check Wits'End for FMS tooling.
Check @Outsane for SMS repairs.

Are you referring to FMS or SMS?
Floppy Mirror Syndrome
Shaky Mirror Syndrome

Check Wits'End for FMS tooling.
Check @Outsane for SMS repairs.
I have the outsane fix, however having both “hooks” removed on the mirror frame, I beleive it allows the mirror to still have a light shake while on the freeway. I have tried two different motors with the same results and I dont have the issue on the passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom